This was removed by the employer on 6/10/2022 3:09:00 PM PST
Not to worry we have many other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Legal and Business Affairs Category
Search for Legal Counsel jobs in London-UK
Search all Legal Counsel postings
Full Time Job
LEGAL COUNSEL (CONTENT LEGAL/PROGRAMME LEGAL ADVICE)
Paramount is comprised of many of the world's most popular multimedia entertainment brands, including MTV, MTV LIVE HD, Nickelodeon, Nick Jr., Comedy Central, Paramount Channel, BET and more. Paramount brands reach more than 3.8 billion cumulative subscribers in 180 countries and territories via more than 200 locally programmed and operated TV channels and more than 550 digital media and mobile TV properties, in 40 languages.
Is this the role for you?
Are you a hardworking, flexible, collaborative legal Advisor with a passion for content creation? Do you specialise in rights protocol for content production and development? Perhaps you are a lawyer in a private practice keen to join a global broadcast media company?
The Business and Legal Affairs (â€œBALAâ€) dept in London are building a team of production lawyers to support their growing studio and streaming businesses in the UK and internationally.
Within this space, the Content Legal & Compliance division is growing to support award winning commissioned content and the in-house production team delivering to Paramounts portfolio of well-known channel brands and platforms.
The legal Advisor will work with commissioners, producers and editors across our expanse of programming and content, spanning all genres and appealing to every demographic of the UK audience, in both public service and commercial broadcasting and content delivery.
What will you be doing?
• Working with in-house producers and commissioners to provide programme and online content legal and regulatory advice on a broad range of issues that can include defamation, contempt, privacy, data protection, intellectual property as well as regulatory compliance within the Ofcom Broadcasting Code, advertising standards and practices
• Understanding editorial ambition and direction to advise effectively on both pre- and post-broadcast and online publication across multiple genres, which includes live output, journalism and news programming
• Analysing and balancing the risks involved in the production and publication process identifying potential consequences that may result in regulator sanctions and/or legal liabilities, both criminal and civil
• Collaborating with the rest of the BALA team and UK business to work within governance protocols, exercising appropriate judgement and seeking guidance and advice from others, particularly when there is a new or complex issue to address
• Advising on child protection and contributor duty of care, commercial references in programmes and teleshopping, sponsorship, product placement, broadcast competitions, election broadcasting and such other matters that arise from time to time
• Advising on editorial ethics affecting offline and online content
• Managing reviews into content issues pre-and post-broadcast
• Handling and drafting responses to complaints and regulatory investigations including Ofcom standards or fairness and privacy complaints
• Reviewing policies, guidelines and protocols for the management of programmes
• Attending and advising at recordings, and live and â€˜as- live' programmes
• Training internal staff and production companies on legal and compliance issues affecting content
• Pre- and post-litigation management including instructing counsel and external solicitors
• Liaising and working closely with commissioners, production companies, press, programme management, business affairs, creatives, marketing and management
• Keeping up to date on the evolution of the law and practice in this area
What are we looking for?
• Qualified lawyer (barrister or solicitor) with 2-7 years' PQ experience of legal/regulatory compliance issues as they relate to the creation and publication of content in the public service and commercial broadcasting space
• In-depth understanding of media law and regulation including defamation, contempt, privacy, copyright, data protection and the Ofcom Broadcasting Code and Guidance
• Experience of advising producers and commissioners pre- and post-broadcast on media law and regulation in relation to programmes and/or online and/or other media content
• Experience of media litigation â€'' defendant and/or claimant work
• Experience of drafting/reviewing programme protocols, guidance notes, contributor contracts/releases and access agreements
• An approachable, professional persona with the ability to collaborate easily in a friendly and lively environment
• Skilled communicator comfortable adapting your style to be effective at all levels
• A good listener, willing to take on all details and ask the right questions, before approaching matters in a practical and analytical way
• Solid attention to detail and confidence in handling strict deadlines, providing an excellent service to key partners around the business
• Creative problem solving skills with strong and good judgement in evaluating legal and editorial issues
• Commitment to freedom of expression