Legal Counsel, Scripted
Full Time Job
Paramount Global (NASDAQ: PARA, PARAA)
Is this the role for you?
Sitting in the Business and Legal Affairs (â€œBALAâ€) team in London, we are looking for a scripted production lawyer with experience in film and/or television (commissions, productions, distribution, acquisitions) and/or broadcast media, solid understanding of intellectual property rights, experience working with talent (on and off screen), unions and agents.
We are looking for a scripted production lawyer with experience in film and/or television (commissions, productions, distribution, acquisitions) and/or broadcast media, solid understanding of intellectual property rights, experience working with talent (on and off screen), unions and agents.
What will you be doing?
• Reviewing and managing all chain of title documents, prepare, negotiate, review all underlying rights agreements, development agreements, script agreements, turnaround agreements.
• Preparing and negotiating production services agreements and co-production agreements using company precedents
• Drafting and advising on a broad range of contracts, for example; all underlying rights and production agreements, contributor releases, presenter agreements, access and location agreements, licences for third party materials, format options, literary options, commissioning agreements, both terms of trade and non-terms of trade deals for a wide range of broadcasters and platforms production financing agreements, acquisitions agreements, including film and series licences from global suppliers, talent union agreements across multiple jurisdictions and territories, short form digital content creation, technology and product agreements.
• Supporting and advising production on all legal matters as they arise
• Working alongside the Content Legal & Compliance team to review and sign off commitments made in Editorial/Commissioning Specification, production protocols and production risk analysis processes
• Advising on intellectual property issues relating to production (e.g. fair dealing or other clearance issues)
• Liaising with external parties such as independent producers and broadcasters and teams internally.
• Contribute to the precedents and know-how of the BALA International Team
• Dealing with distribution queries, liaising with programme Distributor(s) regarding distribution deal terms and practical issues
• Advising in respect of exploitation of ancillary programme rights (publishing, merchandising, DVDs etc.)
• Supporting the BALA team generally, adopting an appropriate risk management and constructive approach to problem solving, including the proposal of new ways of working
What are we looking for?
The ideal candidate will be a qualified solicitor with some post-qualification and/or relevant industry experience, both in-house and in private practice.
• Legal experience in film and/or television (commissions, productions, distribution, acquisitions) and/or broadcast media, solid understanding of intellectual property rights, experience working with talent (on and off screen), unions and agents;
• Experience of TV rights and production deals
• Good knowledge of rights issues, distribution, contract law, copyright law and production financing
• Excellent drafting skills â€'' able to take instructions on a wide variety of contracts and produce working drafts (both with and without reliance on precedent) to meet business requirements
• Good interpersonal and communication skills, an ability to interact with people at all levels of an organisation and present complex legal conclusions concisely
• Ability to deal with a large and varied workload, often under critical time pressure
• Work confidently alone or as part of a team.
• Strong attention to detail, combined with the ability to see the strategic perspective and the imagination to find a creative solution to business issues
• A positive and constructive attitude â€'' able to deal with pressurised situations in a calm and effective manner