Director, Senior Scripted Lawyer
This was removed by the employer on 7/18/2022 3:08:00 PM PST
Not to worry we have many other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Legal and Business Affairs Category
Search for Director, Senior Scripted Lawyer jobs in London-UK
Search all Director, Senior Scripted Lawyer postings
Full Time Job
Paramount Global (NASDAQ: PARA, PARAA)
Is this the role for you?
Sitting in the Business and Legal Affairs (â€œBALAâ€) team in London, we are looking for an experienced scripted production lawyer with a demonstrable track record providing business and legal support to high budget scripted productions, including international co-productions, as well as scripted acquisitions. This is a senior role (with some line management responsibilities) focussed on content creation, including production funding (both soft and hard finance) and talent management (on and off screen).
Ideally you will have worked in production or film finance, have a solid understanding of intellectual property rights and experience of working with talent and talent union arrangements on an international basis, with a passion for multi-media content creation and delivery.
What will you be doing?
• Operate independently and confidently in complex negotiations and discussions with key external and internal stakeholders, across multiple jurisdictions.
• Must be able to deliver well-crafted agreements that support the delivery of the production, within budget, whilst also managing the best interests of VCBS
• Leadership role supporting the Senior Director (in the BALA team prioritising VIS UK) and taking the lead relationship with the scripted studio teams, globally.
• Will confidently navigate difficult conversations with clients and stakeholders, clearly articulating and managing risks within the production and financing environment
• Partnering the commissioners and executive producers, as well as the studios business (with a particular focus on scripted productions and commissions), supporting the growth of the scripted slate you will be drafting, negotiating and advising on a broad range of contracts.
• Working alongside the Content Legal & Compliance team to review and sign off commitments made in Editorial/Commissioning Specifications, production protocols and production risk analysis processes
• Advising on and managing Ofcom and broadcaster compliance issues
• Advising on a variety of funding models including deficit funding, pre-sales, co-productions etc.
• Overseeing and updating company precedents where necessary
• Advising on changes in law likely to materially affect the company's business activity
• Dealing with distribution queries, liaising with programme Distributor(s) regarding distribution deal terms and practical issues
• Advising in respect of exploitation of ancillary programme rights (publishing, merchandising, DVDs etc.)
What are we looking for?
• The ideal candidate will be a qualified solicitor with significant post-qualification and relevant industry experience, both in-house and in private practice.
• Extensive expertise in scripted production and financing internationally, including the UK and USA (experience navigating UK talent unions, PROs and CMOs, as well as US productions: WGA, DGA, SAG-AFTRA issues would be beneficial).
• A solid understanding of the financing of scripted production via e.g., rights pre-sales, co-productions, treaty finance and tax incentive schemes and have some experience of providing legal support in these areas.
• Academic and practical expertise in intellectual property law, distribution and rights issues, contract law and experience working with talent (on and off screen), including unions and agents.
• An understanding of broadcast regulation in Europe and experience in managing compliance issues
• Good interpersonal and communication skills, an ability to interact with people at all levels of an organisation and present complex legal conclusions concisely
• Line management experience, working within a matrix environment, with a passion for personal and professional development
• The ability to confidently advise senior management on corporate/commercial and legal issues and contribute to strategic matters
• Strong attention to detail and analytical skills, combined with the ability to see the broader perspective and the imagination to find creative solutions to business issues
• Excellent drafting skills â€'' able to take instructions on a wide variety of contracts and produce working drafts (both with and without reliance on precedent) to meet business requirements
• A positive and constructive attitude â€'' able to deal with pressurised situations in a calm and effective manner
• Connections within the industry, knowledge of the market and global media trends