Coordinator, Paramount Access Services
ParamountNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Coordinator, Paramount Access Services (Closed Captioning and Audio Description)
CBS, a subsidiary of Paramount Global, creates and distributes industry-leading content across a variety of platforms to audiences around the world. The Company has businesses with origins that date back to the dawn of the broadcasting age as well as new ventures that operate on the leading edge of media. It includes some of the industry's most successful and popular brands and businesses: CBS Television Network, CBS News and Stations, CBS Sports, CBS Studios, CBS Media Ventures and CBS digital properties.
Job Overview and Summary:
Closed Captioning and Audio Description are Federal Communications Commission (FCC) mandated services that are primarily intended for our deaf and visually impaired consumers. This position protects Paramount Global and our content partners in FCC compliance assurance, and diligently serves our content consumers who require these services. While closed captioning in fulfillment of our FCC compliance obligations is always the priority and responsibility, this position also provides support functions to the CBS News National Desk. The coordinator works with the Access Services team in the preparation, execution, and delivery of our 24/7/365 services to the many Paramount divisions, show units and channels that require support. This position primarily oversees the closed captioning for CBS MORNINGS and CBS MORNING NEWS. Paramount Global Access Services supports CBS News, CBS Sports, CBS Entertainment, and Paramount , with additional support provided for other Paramount Global brands and networks including CBS News Streaming, CBS Sports Network, BET, MTV, Nickelodeon and Showtime. The position is embedded at the CBS News National Desk and reports into Paramount Global Access Services (Closed Captioning and Audio Description).
Hours: Monday through Friday from 3:30am â€'' 11:30am ET.
• Act as liaison to the Paramount outside vendors of access services.
• Provision of preparatory information, to the extent available to our outside closed captioning services providers in advance of broadcast, such as show scripts, lists of proper names (people and places), song lyrics used in the program, rundowns, and other available relevant material.
• Provide our outside closed captioning services providers with updated information when programs update segments, or in entirety (or go live), for subsequent repeat broadcasts to Central, Mountain and Pacific time zones.
• Monitor real-time live (e.g., Eastern time zone feed) and pre-recorded captioning program streams (e.g., repeat feeds to Central, Mountain and Pacific time zones) for compliant captions.
• Assist our outside captioning services providers and other relevant Paramount internal operating units with breaking news (e.g., CBS News Special Reports) which require closed captioning, and keep in closed contact with them to promptly advise them captions which require corrective or other actions.
• Provide vacation or illness relief for other staff Coordinator and Sr. Coordinator, when possible.
• Four-year college degree in a related major (e.g., Journalism, Communications or English) or 1-2 years of related work experience (including internships).
• The ability to handle strict deadlines and work independently, in a live network television news environment, with precision and accuracy.
• Ability to work early morning hours on a Monday through Friday schedule which will include programming-driven variable hours (sometimes early morning through evening) and at times working holidays and overtime with short notice.
• Prior television or cable network news related experience in production, editorial and/or operations functions at a television network, local affiliate or at a cable network.
• Excellent organizational and communication skills are essential.
Hiring Salary Range: $55,000.00 - 65,000.00. The hiring salary range for this position applies to New York City, California, Colorado, Washington state, and most other geographies. Starting pay for the successful applicant depends on a variety of job-related factors, including but not limited to geographic location, market demands, experience, training, and education. The benefits available for this position include medical, dental, vision, 401(k) plan, life insurance coverage, disability benefits, tuition assistance program and PTO or, if applicable, as otherwise dictated by the appropriate Collective Bargaining Agreement.