Counsel / Senior Counsel Legal Affairs, Worldwide Marketing
Paramount PicturesLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
Founded in 1912, Paramount Pictures works with the entertainment industryâ€™s biggest filmmakers and brightest stars to produce and distribute entertainment around the world. The iconic Paramount logo has opened some of the most successful and beloved films in cinematic history, including timeless classics such as Sunset Boulevard, The Godfather, Forrest Gump and Ferris Buellerâ€™s Day Off; and blockbuster franchises such as Star Trek, Transformers, and Mission: Impossible. Recent innovative break-out films such as A Quiet Place and Rocketman have further elevated Paramountâ€™s film legacy. On the small screen, Paramount Television Studiosâ€™ Defending Jacob, 13 Reasons Why, The Haunting of Bly Manor, The Alienist: Angel of Darkness, Made for Love and Tom Clancyâ€™s Jack Ryan have also been thrilling audiences. With a beautiful 65-acre lot in the heart of Hollywood, a worldwide network of offices and a culture of engagement, Paramountâ€™s passionate employees ensure the studio continues to deliver creativity and innovation to a dynamic industry. Paramount Pictures is a subsidiary of Paramount Global, which reaches 700 million global subscribers through MTV, Nickelodeon, Comedy Central, BET and other media networks.
Overview and Responsibilities
We are seeking a Counsel/Senior Counsel to join our Legal Affairs, Worldwide Marketing team! This position is responsible for providing strategic counsel and legal services to the worldwide marketing operations of Paramount Pictures across all lines of business. The ideal candidate will have experience advising on a range of marketing activities, preferably in the entertainment industry.
• Draft and negotiate a wide range of marketing agreements, including contracts for creative content productions, promotions, partnerships, contests/sweepstakes, interactive and digital vendors, market research and data analytics vendors, media buying, virtual reality, co-branded spots, artwork commissions, clip licenses, sponsorships, consultants, photographers, venue rentals, location-based entertainment, promotional games, product placement, influencers, and live event production.
• Advise on intellectual property and content clearance issues for trailers/spots, print and online advertising, and value-added content.
• Provide counsel on industry-specific marketing issues, including COPPA, FTC, CPSIA, and privacy.
• Provide practical risk assessment and risk reduction solutions for high level marketing executives in the Hollywood office and foreign Paramount offices abroad with respect to live publicity events, sweepstakes, contests, promotions, and content production.
• Supervise paralegals working on the same titles.
• Establish and maintain business relationships with marketing teams in multiple territories and divisions.
• Partner with Paramount attorneys in the UK and France on film-specific matters.
• Collaborate with legal colleagues across other Paramount Global divisions and departments.
• Assist with ad-hoc legal, contract and rights research projects.
• Instruct and manage outside counsel (including in foreign territories) as required.
• Excellent academic credentials including JD degree from an accredited law school.
• At least 3-7 years of equivalent experience in intellectual property, film/television production, and/or marketing law at a motion picture or television company or entertainment law firm.
• Member of the California State Bar or able to qualify as Registered In-House Counsel.
• Familiarity with union/guild, MPAA and AMPAS regulations a plus.
• International marketing legal, privacy and market research/data analytics experience a plus.
• Excellent communication (written and oral) and interpersonal skills.
• Strong attention to detail and organizational skills.
• Ability to work collaboratively, think practically, use sound judgment and make quick decisions.
• Must be able to craft innovative solutions and assist in implementing them.
• Willingness to tackle matters of first impression and outside of areas of expertise.
• Ability to balance multiple assignments simultaneously, prioritize workload efficiently, and meet strict deadlines.