Short Form Managing Editor
Pac 12 NetworksSan Francisco, CA
Full Time Job
The Short Form Managing Editor will be responsible for programming and packaging content for Pac-12.com and our Pac-12 Now mobile app and our syndication partners across relevant hours of the day and night – and for leading others in doing the same. He or she will master Pac-12.com production tools for creating audience-facing pages and site features and train others to do so. He or she is the primary liaison between Pac-12.com and content creators throughout Pac-12 Networks and the Pac-12 Conference. The job is headquartered in San Francisco with evening and weekend work as dictated by events.
• Pac-12.com and Pac-12 Now programming and packaging
• Update Pac-12.com with relevant photos, SEO-friendly headlines, tease copy, and links
• Publish content including blog posts, videos, photo galleries behind these headlines
• Manage our freelance staff ''desk'' for extending site programming and production on evenings and weekends
• Identify candidates, hire, own the staffing calendar, and enforce best practices
• Lead editorial planning of Conference Championships and other ''tentpole'' events
• Work closely with content creators throughout Pac-12 Networks and the Pac-12 Conference to source, schedule, publish and program content
• Support the timely updating of standings, scores, and statistics where automation fails
• Exercise news judgment and support Pac-12 Short Form's mission and voice
• Coordinate scheduling of live events including broadcasts and live streams in our quick-twitch video-editing platform, and lead others to do the same
• Pac-12.com site production
• Use site production tools to create new show pages, event pages, and site features – fill the gap between content producers and web developers
• Gather site requirements from content creators at Pac-12 Networks, the Pac-12 Conference and the Pac-12 Short Form editorial team
• Build, refine, replicate – train others in site production best practices, generating scale
• Ideate and advocate for new CMS functionality
• Address errors, outages, and broken functionality or escalate as necessary, and lead others in doing the same
• Master our photos sources/rights agreements and best practices – and facilitate photo sourcing throughout the building and with member schools.
• Syndication partners
• Publish content for use on 3rd party platforms with which we share content, and lead others in doing the same.
• Populate feeds, tag, and title content, and communicate with editorial leads to troubleshoot obstacles/surface the best stuff.
• Populate our YouTube channel with relevant videos, SEO friendly title, and teases. Curate YouTube playlists.
• Surface school-produced videos for use on Pac-12.com and throughout Pac-12 Networks, and provide member schools with Pac-12 videos for consideration on their channels
• Master our footage guidelines, rights, and best practices -- and communicate with stakeholders (schools, peers)
• Any other duties as assigned
• Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications, or a related field
• Demonstrable experience and aptitude for web publishing tools including:
• Photo editing software (Photoshop, etc.)
• Video editing software (Premiere, SnappyTV)
• Drupal-based Content Management Systems
• Experience with managing a team
• Deeply knowledgeable about Pac-12 schools, sports, and teams
• A self-starter requiring little oversight while maintaining excellent attention to detail
• Willing to work hours as dictated by the digital news cycle and sports including evening and weekends
• Experience in copyediting and prepping content for the web (some HTML)
• Has a collaborative, passionate, team-first attitude towards building a next-generation sports digital media business