Oakland AthleticsOakland, CA
Full Time Job
As Senior Counsel for the Oakland Athletics, the successful candidate will be part of a small in-house legal team that is tackling some of the most exciting issues in baseball. We work on large and small matters that require impeccable judgement, smarts, a can-do attitude, and the ability and desire to collaborate cross-functionally. As a core part of the team, they will proactively counsel internal clients, negotiate agreements, support innovative organizational initiatives, and help identify and manage legal risks.
The Senior Counsel position is a full-time role. Candidates must be comfortable both working independently and collaboratively with other members of the legal team.
Duties/Expectations: Responsible for, but not limited to, the following:
• Advising the Company on various legal matters and acting as the Company's legal representative with its employees, players, ownership, vendors, contractors, insurance companies, and agents
• Drafting, and negotiating commercial contracts with customers, vendors, and other third parties
• Applying established legal principles and sound judgment to assess and manage risk
• Independently identifying and prioritizing work and projects based on content, urgency, and organizational sensitivity
• Assisting with the day-to-day management of all Company legal and compliance matters, including those relating to real estate acquisition, management, and financing; sales and marketing; broadcasting; finance; information technology; international operations; special projects; stadium operations; baseball operations; public relations; litigation; workers' compensation; intellectual property; and general employment law
• Evaluating the need for and periodically drafting and revising Company policies
• Corresponding with Major League Baseball Commissioner's Office, other MLB entities, including other MLB Clubs, and outside counsel in furtherance of Company's overall objectives and legal responsibilities
• Performing all duties outlined above also on behalf of the San Jose Earthquakes Major League Soccer Club
• J.D. from an accredited law school with excellent academic credentials and bar membership in good standing (CA preferable but not required)
• Five to eight years of experience with a major law firm and/or in-house legal department (in house experience preferred)
• Outstanding negotiating and writing skills, with a strong ability to draft and review legal documents, analyze complex issues, and provide practical, business-oriented solutions
• Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills and ability to maintain strong relationships at all levels of the organization
• Astute, detail-oriented self-starter with excellent organizational skills and the ability to multitask
• Must be able to independently identify and prioritize projects, manage work flow, and complete projects under time pressure
The Oakland Athletics are one of the most successful franchises in Major League Baseball. Since our founding in 1901, the Athletics franchise has been relentlessly innovative. Often ahead of our time, we have never been afraid to embrace new ideas, traditions, and technology. As an employee of the Oakland Athletics you will have the flexibility to maximize your unique talents to drive success for the franchise and, more importantly our fans. Athletics' employees have both the freedom and the obligation to maximize our unique talents for the success of the franchise and in service of our incredibly dedicated fan base. We work hard to attain our goals, and we also take time to celebrate our achievements. Guided by our pillars and inspired by the competitive spirit of our town, we are driven toward one singular purpose-Victory for Oakland!