Director Brand Marketing
Oakland AthleticsOakland, CA
Full Time Job
Overview & Summary
Job Title: Director of Brand Marketing, Oakland Athletics
This position will be based in Oakland, CA, and report directly to the Vice President of Marketing.
The Director of Brand Marketing will lead efforts for growing reach, awareness, and brand affinity for the Oakland Athletics across both new and existing audiences. The ideal candidate will thrive on connecting with consumers' experiences and emotions, and consistently create compelling narratives, content, and brand storytelling to drive growth of A's fans and followers. This Director will exponentially lift virtual engagement, and ultimately increase the impact of brand consideration on ticketing sales, game attendance, media coverage, and sponsorship across all platforms. In addition, you will partner with the Vice President of Marketing to guide the A's brand on an exciting new journey that involves the build out of a new stadium and partnering with our wider community.
This role will require hands-on leadership and mentorship by not only creating the brand awareness strategies, but also helping all parties rise to the challenge of actualizing it.
• Enhance and grow the overall brand of the Oakland Athletics & Oakland Coliseum aiming to be the best in Major League Baseball and beyond.
• Craft strategic seasonal, multi-channel integrated brand campaigns and initiatives (across paid, earned and owned) that drive both new and increased fan engagement, growth, and consideration to purchase.
• Collaborate with marketing team to drive consumer insights and market intelligence efforts to identify target audience definition and deepen audience understanding.
• Acquire new fans and retain core fans through inspiring storytelling, compelling visuals and crisp content, bringing fans closer to the players, the team, and enhance their journey and key themes over the course of a season.
• Develop and manage a cohesive brand marketing calendar including seasonal messaging strategies to drive engagement and growth across channels including in-stadium.
• Build out content and production capabilities to elevate the A's digital brand across relevant platforms, creating highly-engaging and shareable content.
• Directly oversee and manage the social, email and website channel teams as well as oversee brand voice, tone and copywriting.
• Work closely with the Director of Marketing, Customer Acquisition to maintain alignment across customer journeys from brand consideration to acquisition campaigns.
• Ensure that owned channel managers support and execute revenue-generating campaigns and promotions that drive customer acquisition and retention as well as various promotions, in-stadium activations, and drivers of media consumption in linear television, radio, digital and OTT.
• Work closely with the Creative Director to develop guidelines and ensure all channel specific content executions, including content produced by the in-house video production and motion graphics team are on-brand.
• Partner with Community Relations to maximize A's effectiveness in CSR and social impact throughout our various charitable programs.
• Support the Vice President in ideation and development of best-in-class brand partnership assets and brand activation programs, achieving consistent renewals and opportunities for growth.
• Develop brand assets in support of initiatives with internal departments, such as but not limited to: special events, alumni activities, and A's talent recruiting.
• Work closely with the broader marketing team to ensure game-day experience is second-to-none while remaining unique to the A's community, brand, and heritage.
• Interact with brand leadership of key Athletics' partners to better understand their strategic imperatives and help realize them through Athletics' partnership programs.
• Partner with the A's strategy team to develop data and analytics as appropriate for brand marketing initiatives including defining key demographics, audience segments, psychographics of our community, as well as key campaign KPIs and measurable metrics such as awareness, affinity, consideration, and NPS.
• Work closely with the Vice President of Marketing to plan, develop, organize, lead, implement and evaluate both long-term strategic brand direction and growth as well as annual and short-term brand building marketing plans.
• Establish clear brand awareness goals, metrics and KPIs for success across related initiatives, working closely with People Operations, Ticketing, Community and PR, Sales, Corporate Partnerships, Executive Team, Stadium Ops and Staff to ensure clear communication and alignment, performance expectations, and accountability.
• Maintain accurate and detailed forecasting and budget reports for brand marketing initiatives and investments.
• Work with the broader Communications team as relates to brand campaigns to develop and implement a proactive, strategic, and comprehensive media relations and player (and alumni player) promotion strategy aligned to organizational brand goals and centered around the seasonal calendar.
• Work closely with the Creative Director to ensure a creative and efficient production process for all Athletics' branded content that aligns with the brand, style, and voice.
• Establish, foster, and maintain relationships with key internal stakeholders and league-level brand specialists.
• Work across the organization, as well as ambassadors and influencers, third-party suppliers, and corporate and community partners to ensure that the Athletics' digital and content strategy is geared towards fan brand awareness, positive brand affinity and satisfaction, and ultimately brand consideration for monetization.
• Partner with the Community and Corporate teams to study key industry trends as well as review and drive media as relates to local coverage and representation of the A's brand.
• Fluent in both B2C and B2B brand marketing strategy development and deployment.
• An ability to learn a new, unique market and the drivers that make its fans and consumers tick.
• Demonstrated success in leading brand content development and distribution that reflects the organization's product and services strategy.
• Deep understanding of the modern media landscape and passion for emerging technology.
• Experience in leading teams, with the ability to work both independently and collaboratively to problem-solve, prioritize, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
• Adept at developing and executing traditional, experiential, and digital marketing strategies.
• Employs a naturally collaborative style, can work seamlessly across the organization to ensure a consistent voice and message across all communication channels.
• Leverages data and analytics to develop insights, formulate plans, and measure performance.
• Leadership presence with a worker's mentality. A ''strategic-doer'' in a dynamic, innovative environment. Effortlessly bring people together, think quickly, solve problems, and track details.
• 8-10 years brand management or brand marketing experience required, agency-side and sport-related experiences a plus.
• Personable, considerate, self-aware and attuned to positive, inclusive culture building.
• Experience in a service driven industry with strong, iconic, internationally recognized brand(s).
• Cutting edge experience with digital marketing, content development, and strong c