Oakland AthleticsOakland, CA
Full Time Job
The Oakland Athletics are one of the most successful franchises in Major League Baseball. Since our founding in 1901, the Athletics franchise has been relentlessly innovative. Often ahead of our time, we have never been afraid to embrace new ideas, traditions, and technology. Employees of the Oakland Athletics have the freedom and opportunity to maximize their unique talents to drive success for the franchise and, more importantly, for Athletics' fans across the globe.
The Controller will be responsible for all accounting operations for the Oakland A's, to include financial management and reporting, maintenance of comprehensive set of controls designed to mitigate risk, and plays a large role in formulating company budgets and ensuring that expenses are in line with projected revenue. This role must be able to capture, process, report, and explain the impact of key transactions promptly and accurately. The role will require strong technical financial skills and excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to build strong working relationships with key internal and external stakeholders including the Oakland A's Executive Team and Major League Baseball.
• Leadership of all aspects of accounting; billing, financial statements, general ledger, cost accounting, payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable, budgeting, tax compliance, inventory accounting, cost accounting, revenue recognition, and various special analyses.
• Complies with federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation, anticipating future legislation, enforcing adherence to requirements, filing financial reports, and advising management on needed actions.
• Manage, supervise and develop a finance and accounting staff as well as providing outstanding leadership and guidance to the wider executive team and department heads.
• Ensure the team delivers the highest standard of departmental, cross-departmental, and cross-organization teamwork and customer service.
• Develop team goals that fully align with the organization's goals and objectives.
• Provide coaching, guidance and support, set professional development plans to assist employees to reach their full potential through the performance management process.
• Maintain strong working relationships with key internal and external stakeholders.
• Responsible for the development and management of the Key Performance Indicators for the business, ensuring accurate reporting and working closely with heads of department and project leaders to develop these.
• Guides financial decisions by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing policies and procedures.
• Production of Annual Departmental Budgets by working with each Department Head and subsequent production of the Annual Budget Model and Cash Flow Forecast for presentation to the Executive Management team.
• Maximizes return on financial assets by establishing financial policies, procedures, controls, and reporting systems
• Monitors and confirms financial condition by conducting audits and providing information to external auditors.
• Ensure adequate accounting support is provided on home game days for the Ticketing, Marketing, and the Corporate Sales departments.
• Oversee the administration and enhancement (including implementation, where applicable) of all finance/accounting systems, such as the Company's enterprise resource planning, procurement.
• Understand and mitigate key elements of the Club's financial risk profile.
• Ensure that work processes and initiatives are undertaken in a fiscally, legally and operationally responsible manner and are subject to review and/or audit on a regular basis
• Construct and monitor reliable control, cost management and analysis systems.
• Ensure that the Club complies with all regulatory requirements.
• Ensure that record keeping meets the requirements of auditors and government agencies.
• Minimum 12 years of progressive experience in finance leadership roles. MBA degree/CPA (preferred).
• Big 4 public accounting experience desirable and prior experience within entertainment, hospitality, sports industry is a strong plus.
• Active Learner; stay apprised of all the local, state and federal tax laws and business regulations that affect the company
• Consulting and management skills to effectively engage with leaders and drive company-wide initiatives.
• Strong people management skills, proven success in creating and motivating a finance and accounting team.
• Great executive level communication skills, sense of urgency to get things done, and hands on when needed.
• Effective collaborator that is able to establish and maintain partnerships at all levels of the organization.
• Proven ability to lead and motivate high-performance teams and focus on key priorities, provide clear direction, appropriate delegate and actively coach/mentor staff.
• Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to work in a cross-functional, team-oriented environment.
• Strong financial management skills.
• Project management skills – ability to coordinate complex and multiple projects.
• Experience leading a Financial Planning & Analysis (or similar) team with a thorough understanding of financial accounting and management reporting
• Superior problem identification and solving skills with ability to communicate effectively with executive management.
• Ability to take ownership of all areas under responsibility and work proactively to suggest and implement solutions as necessary and in light of overall corporate objectives.