Visual Production Assistant, NPR Music
Full Time Job
The NPR audience values information, creativity, curiosity, and social responsibility – and our employees do too. We are innovators and leaders in diverse fields, from journalism and digital media to IT and development. Every day, our employees and member stations touch the lives of millions worldwide.
Across our organization, we’re building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success.
NPR Music and NPR Visuals are looking for a highly motivated Production Assistant to support initiatives for projects related to its Hip-Hop and R&B coverage. The ideal candidate will collaborate with Music editors and Visuals producers to develop story ideas for videos, photo essays, and visual story-telling for platforms like Instagram, YouTube and TikTok, including adapting longer form video for a wide array of visual platforms. They will develop, conceive and execute original visual content from pitch through publication with a sophisticated understanding of how to tailor storytelling for young and diverse audiences. The position requires the ability to think creatively about building new audiences by crafting compelling stories around hip-hop and R&B music, and its intersection with national conversations, current events and American culture. This position will require working nights, weekends and holidays as needed. This position reports to the Senior Supervising Editor for Visuals with a strong dotted line to the Hip-Hop Lead Editor.
About You: You’re a knowledgeable Hip-Hop head who follows the moves of the industry and the culture. You think about Black music’s cultural importance, and are always asking questions about its place in the world and its larger social impact. You are also a creative producer with new ideas about visuals and audio. You’re excited about making something new every day
• Working with the Lead Hip-Hop/R&B and Visuals editors produce, shoot and edit photography and video for visual platforms, clearly communicating the vision, project goals, narrative scope and timeline for each production.
• Advanced knowledge of social and streaming platforms, accompanying formats and best practices.
• Research story ideas and fact check supporting materials maintaining NPR editorial and ethical guidelines.
• Perform post-production work including: adding text and graphics, sound design, and color correction
• Work Location- NPR-Washington DC
• Willingness to work flexible hours. Occasional travel required.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university with a specialization in film, video, media production, photography or journalism preferred.
• 1-2 years of photographic storytelling and video production experience, preferably with a major network or newsroom, studio or creative agency.
• Mastery of Adobe Creative Cloud programs related to video, photo and design. (Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, Premiere)
• Ability to handle multiple and complex projects simultaneously under stringent time frames and changing priorities/conditions.
• Demonstrated commitment to increasing audience diversity.
• Be well versed in copyright and ethical journalism practices
• Excellent communication and writing skills.
• Have a strong interest in current events
• Must be able to lift video equipment weighing up to 30 pounds.
PREFERRED COMPETENCIES & SKILLS
• Ability to work independently and with members of a cooperative team.
• Comfortable being on camera.
• Knowledge of and experience working with musicians in R&B, Jazz, and Hip-Hop.
This position is covered under the terms of a collective bargaining agreement with SAG-AFTRA. The minimum salary for this position is $60,000.
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer that affirmatively seeks to hire veterans and people with disabilities. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or national origin.