Vice President, Product
Full Time Job
As Vice President, Product, you are responsible for the strategic vision, execution and impact for NPR products and services across web, mobile, voice and emerging digital platforms. You’re a technical product leader who has a deep understanding of product and platform technology, and can work closely with editorial, business and technology partners in a mission-based organization to drive the successful growth and engagement of millions of audience members every day.
You'll join a team of highly collaborative and passionate people on a mission to help create an informed public, who are dedicated to transforming our workplace culture, and who are relentlessly focused on our audience and building amazing products.
Your goal is to help NPR reflect, serve, and inspire America. You balance internal strategic priorities with a human-centered approach that results in developing new and more diverse audiences. You are a self-starter, highly collaborative, flexible, unafraid of ambiguity and able to hear and where necessary synthesize multiple points of views.
• Define and lead a digital product vision for NPR and build online audience and revenue through the successful development and deployment of the supporting products.
• Hire and manage a staff who have responsibility for product development and management over a portfolio that includes NPR podcasts, NPR One, NPR.org, smart speaker products, NPR and Member station content-management systems, NPR APIs, newsletters and many other audience-facing and internal products, as well as cross-product strategies and goals for identity management, digital revenue, data collection, distribution and local integration.
• Lead the product vision for major ongoing strategic projects, such as a system-wide CMS overhaul, podcast subscriptions, audience diversification, mobile app merger, and data management platform.
• Develop and implement clear roles, workflows, processes and staffing structures to optimize resources and produce the best work.
• Create and oversee detailed product roadmaps.
• Build and reinforce a culture of encouragement, respect and open communication promoting a collegial environment that encourages teamwork and thrives on diverse backgrounds and perspectives.
• Collaborate closely with peers to apply best practices and tools toward planning, resource management, goal setting and internal communication.
• Lead regular cycles of sprint reviews, communicate on a regular basis results, challenges and opportunities to key organization stakeholders.
• Ensure that analytics, user testing and research are fully incorporated into product development efforts.
• Evaluate and implement opportunities to further build audience and impact through deployment of emerging digital platforms and tools.
• Partner with Business Development, senior management and others in evaluating, cultivating and negotiating new partnership opportunities for audience and revenue growth.
• Partner with Development to explore opportunities for philanthropic support of digital initiatives.
• Partner with Member stations to build on the national-local strength of public media and engage in solutions that grow our shared audiences and revenue.
• Stay up-to-date on the marketplace, competitive set and digital trends, especially as they relate to digital audio, community engagement, membership and subscription.
• Eight to 10 years’ experience managing a high-performing product team and a proven track record in building innovative and popular products.
• Exceptional communication skills, including the ability to seek help and build coalitions of trust and shared goals.
• The ability to translate listener feedback and data into product requirements and clear KPIs.
• An entrepreneurial spirit with the ability to juggle multiple priorities, make things happen and drive projects to successful completion.
• An ability to craft compelling stories about user research, design and technology, and presenting them confidently to fellow executives and across divisions.
• A passion for the mission and voices of public media.
• Experience with – and embrace of – the challenges of working across a large organization and a wide network that has multiple stakeholders and agendas; through it all, the ability to remain a strong advocate for the audience, to appraise market opportunities clearly, and to manage and focus resources carefully.
• Experience with content management systems, ad operations services, data management, analytics tools and other technologies
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NPR is committed to being an inclusive workplace that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed public. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, age, religion, religious belief, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, lactation, and reproductive health decisions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, transgender status, gender non-conforming status, intersex status, sexual stereotypes, nationality, citizenship status, personal appearance, marital status, family status, family responsibilities, military status, veteran status, mental and physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, genetic characteristics of yourself or a family member, political views and affiliation, unemployment status, protective order status, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking, or any other basis prohibited under applicable law.