SVP Podcasting Strategy & Franchise Development
This was removed by the employer on 9/26/2023 10:33:00 AM PST
Not to worry we have many other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Executive Positions Category
Browse the Marketing Category
Browse the Radio Category
Search for SVP Podcasting Strategy & Franchise Development jobs in Washington-DC
Search all SVP Podcasting Strategy & Franchise Development postings
Full Time Job
The Senior Vice President of Podcasting Strategy & Franchise Development will be responsible for refreshing, driving, and ensuring the execution of NPRâ€™s podcast strategy, which includes content creation, distribution, and the monetization of new and existing podcasts. This position requires strong existing relationships in podcasting and media, both for profit and public media, and experience creating and executing a strategic plan. Knowledge and insight across genres and about different audiences are essential. This leader will forge new partnerships and cultivate strong relationships with stakeholders at NPR and across the NPR Network. They will have the people skills to motivate and inspire their team to action and collaborate across a 600 person division. The SVP of Podcasting Strategy & Franchise Development will report directly to the Chief Content Officer.
• Develop and implement a comprehensive podcasting growth strategy for NPRâ€™s podcasts and podcast franchises, aligned with the organizationâ€™s strategic priorities.
• Identify new market opportunities and emerging trends to stay ahead of NPRâ€™s competitors in the podcasting space.
• Stay up to date with podcasting industry trends, budding technologies, and podcast distribution best practices to identify opportunities and approaches for podcast growth.
• Develop and implement a comprehensive podcasting distribution strategy for NPRâ€™s podcast content that aligns with the organizationâ€™s strategic priorities and audience targets.
• Has a track record of creating programming that reaches younger, diverse audiences.
• Oversee the management and growth of NPRâ€™s podcasting portfolio, including launching new shows, evaluating current ones, and making data-driven decisions for podcast resource allocation.
• Collaborate with NPRâ€™s Senior Vice President, Editor in Chief; NPR and NPR Network content creators; editors, producers, and hosts to conceptualize, develop, and curate high-quality and engaging podcast content across diverse genres and topics. Together the two SVPs will enact a unified vision across NPRâ€™s Content division under the direction of the Chief Content Officer.
• Cultivate and maintain strong partnerships with podcast platforms, streaming services, aggregators, and distribution channels to optimize the visibility and accessibility of NPRâ€™s podcasts.
• Drive the creation, growth, and management of new and existing podcast franchises (i.e., Planet Money, Wait Waitâ€¦Donâ€™t Tell Me!, Fresh Air, TED Radio Hour) for NPR and the NPR Network.
• Partner closely with NPRâ€™s Network Growth, Development, and Finance teams and NPM (National Public Media) to drive podcasting revenue generation through various monetization strategies including sponsorships, advertising, and potential subscription models.
• Develop and drive initiatives to increase NPR podcast listenership, subscriber base, and audience engagement. Leverage marketing and promotional efforts to maximize the reach and impact of our podcasts. Leverage data-driven insights to tailor content distribution for NPRâ€™s target audiences.
• Represent NPR at podcasting industry events and conferences.
• Collaborate with NPRâ€™s Content Production Operations team and others across NPR to ensure efficient, seamless podcast production processes, including recording, editing, and post-production processes, to deliver high-quality episodes on schedule
• Stay up to date with the latest podcasting technologies, tools, and distribution platforms. Partner with NPRâ€™s Content Production Tools team to implement innovative approaches to enhance the podcast listening experience for our audience.
• Partner with NPRâ€™s Chief Content Officer and Vice President of Content Business Strategy & Operations to evaluate the performance of podcasts, measure objectives and key results (OKRs), and derive actionable insights for continuous improvement of NPRâ€™s podcast performance. Will work collaboratively to create metrics and make data driven decisions with Chief Content Officer and Vice President of Content Business Strategy & Operations to measure the success of NPRâ€™s podcast distribution efforts and use data to refine strategies for optimal results.
• The Senior Director of Broadcast Programming Strategy reports to this position in collaboration with other senior executives focused on Member Stations and overall approach to broadcast presence of shows that are also podcasts. This includes sponsorship promos and fundraising promos which are also produced here.
• The Senior Director of Partnership Development reports to this position as part of the overall strategy that extends our franchises and drives revenue, creates new IP opportunities and business models, drives new content verticals, leverages distribution partners, manages and negotiates current and new business deals and partnerships.
• The Executive Producer of the Enterprise Storytelling Unit reports to this position in developing and amplifying both our longform storytelling, as well as TED Radio Hour and other content.
• A deep understanding and fluency across a range of podcast genres, including talk show, history and longform multi-part series.
• Ensure that all podcasts adhere to copyright and intellectual property laws, content standards, and industryâ€™s best practices.
• If you have read this far, we hope that an earnest presentation of the work has not starched out our interest in someone who wants to work in a joyful place that loves to create and imagine the most engaging content possible. We are looking for someone who enjoys the spark of creativity and likes to challenge others to unleash their full creative juices.
• Cultivates and promotes diversity, equity, and inclusion in the Content Division and at NPR, with a strong track record of having done so elsewhere.
• Cultivate and support an inclusive and equitable workplace culture.
• Supervise multiple direct reports at the senior level, including preparing their regular performance reviews, and making effective recommendations regarding any hiring, promotion, professional development, and discipline for these positions.
• Other duties as assigned.
The above duties and responsibilities are not an exhaustive list of required responsibilities, duties and skills. Other duties may be assigned, and this job description can be modified at any time.
• Minimum 15 years of relevant managerial or professional experience at major national broadcast, media, or non-profit organization.
• Successful track record managing and leading a major media operation, including significant P&L responsibilities in addition to operational excellence.
• Demonstrated record of successfully developing, cultivating and negotiating a full range of business and organizational relationships â€'' partnership, alliances, collaborations and vendor and client relationships.
• Knowledge of the rapidly changing, competitive media environment, its strategic challenges and implications for NPR, member stations, the public radio system, the media business and society.
• Decisive, dynamic and authentic leadership style with high emotional intelligence, excellent communication and presentation skills and a passion for the mission of the organization.
• Commitment to promoting and delivering diversity in hiring and supporting a positive and inclusive culture.