Supervising Editor, Weekend All Things Considered
Full Time Job
Weekend All Things Considered is NPR’s influential, agenda-setting weekend evening news magazine. As Supervising Editor, you will play a key role in driving the editorial agenda for the show each weekend, managing a team of talented journalists. You will lead breaking news coverage of events in the U.S. and around the world, and ensure that the show is at the leading edge of the conversation across a range of issues, assigning the host, producers and editors as needed. The Supervising Editor, alongside the Executive Producer, will implement the overarching vision for news, features and digital content for the show. You will also co-manage personnel issues related to the program.
• Ability to drive editorial excellence and strategic results.
• Orchestrate breaking news plans.
• Lead editorial meetings, encouraging staffers to pitch and execute great story ideas.
• Ability to edit live and pre-recorded host interviews.
• Ability to assist with the Executive Producer; organize and maintain staff schedules -- creating work/life balance that helps optimize meeting deliverables for the show.
• Provide written and verbal editorial feedback to staff that elevates performance.
• Ability to manage complex workflow with hosts and producers to determine strategic & proper approaches to stories, subjects to be discussed and individuals to be interviewed.
• Collaborate with digital news to maximize show content across platforms.
• Collaborate and assist with Executive Producer delivering performance management – coaching conversations to drive results and assisting with annual evaluations.
• Work efficiently and calmly on deadline.
EDUCATION: Minimum education experience, required or preferred. (Ex: Bachelor's degree or equivalent in work experience)
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES & SKILLS
• A minimum of 2 years’ previous managerial experience.
• 8 years’ experience as a news reporter, news producer, or news editor.
• Experience maintaining high journalistic standards under deadline pressure, including standards of objectivity, balance and fairness.
• Previous experience editing and working with hosts and producers.
• Strong writing ability.
• Quality-Decision Making
• Critical Thinking Skills
• Problem-Solving Skills
• Attention to Detail
• Results Driven
• Managerial Courage
• Manages Complexity
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer that affirmatively seeks to hire veterans and people with disabilities. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or national origin.
Want more NPR? Explore the stories behind the stories on our NPR Extra blog. Get social with NPR Extra on Facebook and following @NPRExtra and #NPRLife on Twitter and Instagram. Find more career opportunities at our website and on Twitter.