Supervising Editor - National Security
Full Time Job
The National Security Editor directs coverage of the military, intelligence community, veterans and domestic terrorism for all NPR News programs. This editor oversees breaking news and leads reporters in developing in-depth enterprise and investigative reports. He/she will also co-lead a collaborative team of National Security staffers and NPR member station reporters who span across the country. This editor will be a key collaborator with all desks, NPR programs and podcasts that include National Security coverage. The editor will coordinate with the International Desks, and others at NPR, to ensure correspondent safety and security.
• Assigns stories and edits coverage for audio and digital programs.
• Works with other news desks, shows, podcasts, digital news editors and member stations to coordinate coverage.
• Participates in news department and desk planning.
• Organizes breaking news coverage and two-ways with program hosts.
• Contributes to special coverage as needed.
• Provides guidance to program hosts and producers as needed.
• Works with others on staff safety and security issues
• Fulfills administrative obligations and represents the National Desk in meetings and other venues.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism or equivalent years of experience.
• Demonstrated experience in directing coverage of military, intelligence and national security issues.
• Demonstrated experience in newsroom leadership and planning
• Production of digital coverage
• At least 10 years’ experience in journalism
• Experience editing stories at the national level
• Experience working on deadline and working independently
• Experience in long-form journalism.
• Excellence in analysis and interpretation.
• Ability to work quickly and efficiently under deadline pressure.
• Proven ability to work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system.
• A background in broadcast journalism
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NPR is committed to being an inclusive place to work that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed public. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.