Supervising Editor, Data / Graphics
Full Time Job
Across our organization, we’re building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success.
NPR seeks a technology-savvy editor to lead our award-winning team of journalist-technologists and develop broader strategies to empower our newsroom and programming divisions to create ambitious, internet-native journalism.
The News Apps team has been a pillar of NPR’s digital expression for most of the last decade, with a talented roster and alumni network of graphic designers, software developers, data analysts, illustrators, cartographers, and visually minded reporter/editors have helped define what NPR should look and feel like on the Internet. Our work includes enterprise like the White Lies visual narrative, large-scale data projects like the 2020 election results and the Book Concierge, and graphics-driven efforts like our U.S. coronavirus tracker). Its primary home is often NPR.org, but it also appears on member station sites, social channels and other platforms.
Entering this next decade, we need to continue lifting our ambitions, and we’re looking for a creative editor to lead the way.
This role will determine the needs and possibilities for graphics and multimedia packages, including daily statistical visualizations and more in-depth reporting features. We expect that the right candidate will have experience editing that kind of work In collaboration with other editors in dynamic newsroom structures. This role will exercise sound journalistic judgment, visual creativity and story-telling innovation to serve our audience, the American public.
This role will also be expected to feel comfortable as an editorial leader who can identify what journalistic proficiencies NPR will need to cultivate to meet its mission to inform and enrich the American public through the story forms and mediums of the next decade and beyond. This is a managerial position.
What You Will Do:
• Manage the daily operations of the Data Viz team which includes the construction of graphics for day stories written by various coverage desks.
• Edit stories and projects, including text, design and data. Some of these will originate from the team. Many will be conceived in partnership with other newsgathering desks.
• Work in partnership with journalists from signature magazine broadcast shows and podcasts to extend their storytelling across the internet.
• Work in partnership with our Tech, Design, Product and Analytics teams to develop the right mix of tooling for all journalists at NPR to construct more visual story forms.
• Work in partnership with our Visuals department (photography and video) on a variety of projects.
• Cultivate a culture of inclusion and experimentation.
• Experience editing news and features in a newsroom.
• Ability to convey interactive story ideas and complex interactions with wire-frames or prototypes.
• Expertise with web development, design and/or data analysis
• Pragmatism and empathy.
• An interest in emerging storytelling techniques
• Enthusiasm for the mission of public media and NPR.
• Quick learner with creative ideas
• Ability to work collaboratively with a mixed-media team
• Demonstrated ability to create presentations that intelligently incorporate audio, video, still images, graphics and text.
• Ability to manage projects with multiple stakeholders and varying expertise, effectively define goals and prioritize tasks, and meet deadlines
• Attention to detail and excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Ability to meet deadlines and to adapt to change in a daily, unpredictable news production environment.
What To Expect When You Apply:
• Your application will be reviewed by a real person. We look at every application and cover letter that we receive which means that it can take a few weeks for us to get back to you.
• You will hear from us by email and we will share updates with you during each step of the interview process.
• Qualified candidates will be invited for an introductory video interview with a member of the hiring team.
• If you are selected to move on, we will ask you to give a short presentation to confirm your analytics and communication skills.
• Candidates who successfully complete the technical assessment will be invited to virtual interviews with several members of our team. This stage typically lasts three to four hours.
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer that affirmatively seeks to hire veterans and people with disabilities. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or national origin.