Full Time Job
We are looking for a talented and knowledgeable software engineer. Responsibilities include assisting in the daily operations and maintenance of NPR Digital Media’s systems and applications and assisting in the design and implementation of software products. We are seeking a person passionate about polyglot programming, web technologies, database development, RESTful APIs – sometimes things that have not reached mainstream, yet. A person who both learns fast, and can also figure things out independently and show us better ways for building complex, highly scalable systems on the web.
Why work at NPR matters:
The NPR audience values information, creativity, curiosity, and social responsibility – our employees do too. We are innovators and leaders in diverse fields, from journalism and digital media to product design and software engineering.
A day in the life of a Software Engineer:
Each day you will work with a cross-functional team of brilliant professionals combining business, design/user experience and engineering expertise, working relentlessly to push the boundaries of what’s possible, paving the road for the future of news and entertainment media.
Our team has a passion for Agile development and continuous improvement. We are diverse, lifelong learners and read omnivorously from NPR’s giveaway book shelf, regularly walk down the hall to Tiny Desk Concerts, tell coding jokes, optionally bring treats to share, have on-site happy hours and optionally present at conferences. Plus, we have great work-life balance – seriously.
You can find out more about a day in the life of a Software Engineer from the job description at this link.
Required Tech Skills:
• Some fluency in relational databases, such as MySQL.
• Ability to work in Unix command-line over SSH terminal.
• Experience working with a version control system (Git preferred).
Other Required Skills:
• Creativity, initiative, thirst for innovation and acute attention to detail
• Vigor for crafting well-tested, well-documented and elegantly structured code.
• Passion for standards-based web development and polyglot programming.
• Eagerness to be involved in all stages of the product development cycle.
• Honesty, friendly attitude and good sense of humor.
Bonus Points For:
• Experience working with a multidisciplinary product development team in an Agile environment.
• Experience working with content management systems.
• Every additional programming language and framework you are fluent in.
• Addiction to writing code in Test-Driven Development style.
• Knowledge in cloud technologies such as AWS or GCP.
• Willingness to contribute to open-source projects.
Interested in Applying?
This position is funded for up to one year. During or at the end of that year, conversion to a full-time position may be possible, but not guaranteed.
View this link about our interview process, our working environment, more job description, and advice.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer that affirmatively seeks to hire veterans and people with disabilities. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or national origin.