Social Media Associate
Full Time Job
Across our organization, we’re building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success.
This is a hands-on, entry-level staff position that provides social media support to the media relations department at NPR. The successful candidate will have experience working or interning for a communications or media relations department, and a basic understanding of, interest in and appreciation for media and public relations practices. The candidate will be supporting NPR’s media relations efforts to get NPR in front of new audiences and planning and executing content for the NPR Extra suite of corporate public relations social media channels. S/he will support all media relations staff in the successful social promotion of NPR News, programming, music and talent and will gain experience executing social media plans and strategies. He/she will brainstorm social media plans, draft blogs and
social media posts, and serve as community manager of the NPR Extra social accounts. The position reports to the Senior Publicist for Media Engagement.
The ideal candidate must have a creative eye and stay ahead of social media trends.
• Support the management of the NPR Extra suite of social media channels including content and analytics for blog, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn.
• Help lead amplifying and curating of content from active social media communities of NPR listeners and fans.
• Research, plan and implement social media outreach campaigns around NPR content including but not limited to podcast launches, investigative series and multiplatform reporting packages.
• Maintain weekly and monthly scorecards reporting on the progress, milestones and growth of NPR Extra social media channels.
• Create and map out an editorial calendar for the NPRExtra blog.
• Creatively and strategically optimize original editorial and video content for all social platforms.
• Serve as community manager of the NPRExtra social channels, engaging with followers/users, identifying viral moments and developing engagement strategies.
• Work with the marketing and editorial social media leads within the organization on design and execution of campaigns.
• Perform other duties as required.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s Degree.
• Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in communications or journalism.
• Experience in communications or media relations preferred.
• Exceptional writing and edit skills are a must.
• Demonstrated experience leveraging social channels in support of public relations or audience engagement goals.
• Strong familiarity and experience with social media channels and applications. (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Tweetdeck, etc)
• Demonstrated writing experience for blogs and websites.
• Appetite for news and interest in music, arts, culture, politics and media.
• Must be able to work independently, after direct supervision.
• Ability to handle multiple tasks and short deadlines.
• Creative and resourceful.
• Flexibility to work outside the 9-5, it’s the nature of social media.
• The candidate is at the cutting edge of the cultural zeitgeist; understanding the internet, social and youth culture and how to credibly and sensitively work within it.
• Enthusiasm for collaborative team workplace; willingness to perform all functions of his/her job.
• Self-starter with ability to independently initiate and follow through with opportunities.
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NPR is committed to being an inclusive place to work that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed public. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.