Senior Supervising Editor, Invisibilia
Full Time Job
Over the course of five seasons, NPR’s Invisibilia podcast has built a large and incredibly loyal following. Hosts Alix Spiegel and Hanna Rosin, along with a team of producers, combine unique narratives with ground-breaking research to help listeners see themselves -and the world around them - in a new way.
The ideal candidate for this position will believe deeply in the power of storytelling and non-narrative fiction. They/she/he will have a capacity and passion for mentoring staff at all skill levels, and will thrive in a highly collaborative, creative environment.
This position is based in Washington, DC, and may require occasional travel.
• Oversee editing of episode content
• Manage planning and discussion of themes, treatments, and forms for content and story approaches, in collaboration with hosts/team
• Guide show toward the future, with an eye to editorial iteration and financial sustainability
• Provide clear and consistent feedback to direct reports, mentoring to enable achievement of professional development goals
EDUCATION: Minimum education experience: Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience in audio journalism/long-form
• At least 5 years of experience managing / mentoring staff and managing a budget for projects or department
• At least 10 years of experience as a reporter/editor in audio reporting / long-form
• Proven experience maintaining high journalistic standards on multiple projects simultaneously, under stringent timeframes and changing/priorities/conditions
• Demonstrated ability to work as decisive leader, as well as a collaborative team member
PREFERRED COMPETENCIES & SKILLS
• Critical Thinking
• Balance Stakeholder Relationships
• Managing Complexity
• Quality Decision Making
• Experience communicating with NPR Newsroom and other internal stakeholders, in order to effectively oversee team interactions within NPR
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NPR is committed to being an inclusive place to work that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed public. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.