Senior Supervising Editor I / Producer, Morning Edition
This was removed by the employer on 9/22/2020 9:44:00 AM PST
Not to worry we have a lot of other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Post Production Category
Browse the Radio Category
Browse the Writing Category
Search for Senior Supervising Editor I / Producer, Morning Edition jobs in Washington-DC
Search all Senior Supervising Editor I / Producer, Morning Edition postings
Are you an employer?
How do I hire a Senior Supervising Editor I / Producer, Morning Edition? OVERVIEW
Morning Edition is NPR’s influential, agenda-setting morning news magazine. The same team also produces Up First, NPR’s top-ranked news podcast. As the Senior Supervising Editor/Producer, you will play a key role in designing and driving the editorial vision for the shows, managing a team of talented journalists. You will lead breaking news coverage of events in the U.S. and around the world, and ensure that the shows are at the leading edge of the conversation across a range of issues, assigning hosts, producers and editors as needed. Working with all shifts across the 24-hour show cycle, the Senior Supervising Editor/Producer, alongside the Executive Producer, will develop and implement the overarching vision for news, features and digital content for the shows. You will also manage personnel and budgetary issues related to the program.
This position will be based in Washington, DC.
• Design and drive editorial excellence and vision for Morning Edition and Up First
• Orchestrate breaking news plans among a team of journalists
• Lead editorial meetings, encouraging staffers to pitch and execute great story ideas
• Organize and maintain staff schedules efficiently, using rotations and training to further staff development.
• Provide written and verbal editorial feedback to staff
• Collaborate with digital news to maximize show content across platforms
• Evaluate, develop, and manage staff performance
• Participate in budgetary reviews and hiring process for Morning Edition and Up First
• Conduct outreach and represent the show in public forums
• Exhibit an ability and willingness to work varied shifts; to include a rotating over-night shift
• 2-3 previous years of managerial experience
• 8 years’ experience as a news reporter, news producer, or news editor
• Thorough knowledge of news and feature reporting techniques and demonstrated writing ability.
• Proven skill in both news and feature editing is required
• Considerable knowledge of current events, including international and domestic news.
• Proven experience working on deadline, in particular a daily deadline.
• Experience maintaining high journalistic standards under deadline pressure, including standards of objectivity, balance and fairness.
• Ability and willingness to work varied shifts, including rotating overnight and/or swing shifts.
• Considerable knowledge of current events, including international and domestic news
PREFERRED COMPETENCIES & SKILLS
• Quality-Decision Making
• Critical Thinking Skills
• Problem-Solving Skills
• Attention to Detail
• Results Driven
• Managerial Courage
• Manages Complexity
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree (preferably in Journalism), or writing-intensive discipline and/or equivalent work experience
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NPR is committed to being an inclusive workplace that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed public. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, age, religion, religious belief, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, transgender status, gender non-conforming status, intersex status, sexual stereotypes, nationality, citizenship status, personal appearance, marital status, family status, family responsibilities, military status, veteran status, mental and physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, genetic characteristics of yourself or a family member, political views and affiliation, unemployment status, protective order status, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking, or any other basis prohibited under applicable law.
This job is no longer available. Click here to view current job listings.