Full Time Job
Senior Producer (Short Term) Assignment
NPR is developing a new, weekly interview podcast with a high-profile host that will explore the ways we overcome obstacles in our personal and professional lives.
We are seeking a Senior Producer with an interest/experience in editing and helping to shape the show from the ground up. The successful producer will have excellent audio production skills and sharp editorial judgement. You will bring hands-on experience with producing long-form interview shows and creating compelling stories. You will be comfortable working in a collaborative environment, juggling multiple responsibilities, and operating under tight deadlines. Experience launching a new show and working with high-profile talent is a plus.
This short-term assignment will last for 1-year.
• Participate in editorial planning of the program, including episode topic selection, story ideas, and selection/booking of guests.
• With the team, evolve the sound and focus of the show. Create new segments.
• Produce and mix the show.
• Direct host during recordings, providing direction and constructive feedback.
• Help manage day-to-day production of the show
• Edit podcast episodes and other content, as needed.
• Write and edit scripts under deadline
• Act as coach and mentor for staff, assisting their productions for the program.
• Work on major, long-term projects, as well as short deadline pieces, sometimes simultaneously.
• Ensure that all content complies with NPR’s standards for accuracy and fairness.
• Assume other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience.
• At least five years of experience producing on Dalet, Cool Edit, ProTools, or similar broadcast digital audio workstations.
• At least five years of experience in podcasting or broadcasting.
• At least three years of experience in editorial decision-making with demonstrated ability to exercise solid, independent news judgment.
• Strong oral communication skills.
• Demonstrated writing, editing ability, and experience in editorial decision-making
• Demonstrated ability to work quickly and efficiently under deadline pressure.
• Ability to handle more than one assignment at a time; ability to prioritize, anticipate and communicate effectively
• Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NPR is committed to being an inclusive workplace that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed public. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, age, religion, religious belief, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, lactation, and reproductive health decisions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, transgender status, gender non-conforming status, intersex status, sexual stereotypes, nationality, citizenship status, personal appearance, marital status, family status, family responsibilities, military status, veteran status, mental and physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, genetic characteristics of yourself or a family member, political views and affiliation, unemployment status, protective order status, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking, or any other basis prohibited under applicable law.