Senior Manager, NPR Presents
Full Time Job
Across our organization, we’re building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success.
The NPR Events & Experiential team is looking for a dynamic, creative individual to join us as a Senior Manager. This role includes producing real life and virtual events and designing strategies that create dynamic, memorable experiences to engage, inform and inspire audiences. The Senior Manager will focus on connecting with existing audiences while reaching new communities of people, giving NPR talent additional creative platforms to showcase their craft, collaborating with stakeholders across the public media landscape and beyond.
The ideal candidate has previous experience in creating and executing editorially-driven, high touch engagement events and experiences with a focus on news, cultural and music programming. You are a creative strategic thinker with an entrepreneurial spirit who loves to problem solve quickly to drive results, has experience managing complex multi-layered projects with internal and external stakeholders, and experience overseeing budgets. This role will report to the Senior Director of Events & Experiential.
NPR Presents designs and executes innovative experiences that bring NPR content to people in real life and in virtual spaces. We set a high bar for production excellence, deepen engagement with new and existing audiences, create revenue opportunities for the organization, and strengthen relationships with NPR Member stations and other partners. From high touch engagement experiences like the Tiny Desk Contest and the How I Built This Summit & Fellows program to live presentations of Code Switch, It’s Been A Minute and NPR Trivia Nights, our work is focused on meeting and inspiring our audience wherever they are, and the Senior Manager is a vital part of that mission.
The Senior Manager can be a remote position, but must be located close to a major U.S. airport and will be expected to travel to Washington D.C. and other locations around the country to be on-site for live event production and other projects as necessary.
Bachelor’s degree or the equivalent combination of education and experience
• Collaborate with NPR’s Events & Experiential team and NPR content partners to design and produce unique and dynamic multi-platform, multi-media event experiences across the country
• Develop new event concept proposals and project manage efforts once approved by the Senior Director
• Work closely with Senior Director on scaling and refining NPR’s editorial public-facing events practice
• Work closely with Senior Director to help develop and implement engagement strategies for events to connect with new audiences
• Achieve budget objectives set forth by the Senior Director
• Oversee marketing, compliance, logistics, and content capture for a portfolio of events and experiences
• Partner with NPR Member stations to support public radio’s listener engagement
• Manage external vendors, partners, Member station contacts, and co-creators
• Develop and deliver presentations and pitches to NPR’s business units and senior leaders
• Be an enterprising, entrepreneurial, and productive team contributor, constantly and eagerly identifying new means of innovation to grow NPR Events’ impact with all constituents before, during and after each and every event produced
• At least 4-5 years of experience creating and executing high touch engagement events and experiences - in person and virtually. You have your finger on the pulse of the diverse cultural landscape across the country. You are innovative and excited about creating content in this space
• Experience managing complex projects and working with multiple groups of stakeholders
• Experience with audience engagement best practices, strategies and tactical execution, including conducting and analyzing audience surveys and data
• At least 3 years of experience managing a team of people overseeing multi-platform projects
• Experience overseeing and managing complex budgets
• Experience under-pressure in live production environments
• Ability to quickly assess and become proficient in various digital platforms and tools
• Innovative and self-motivated: ability to work Independently and is a self-starter
• Team collaborator: ability to work well with others
• Cultivate and promote diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace
• Cultivate and support an inclusive and equitable workplace culture
• Excellent time management and prioritization skills
• Creative problem solver
• Strong critical thinking skills
• Strong oral communication skills, including the ability to prepare powerful and compelling presentations
• Excellent writing skills: ability to describe and market NPR events & experiences through multiple mediums
• Strong editorial sensibilities
• Basic to intermediate design abilities
• Highly organized, including the ability to create and manage complex data sets on various platforms including Microsoft Excel and Salesforce
• Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously under stringent timeframes and changing priorities and conditions
• Entrepreneurial mindset with project management discipline and results-oriented approach
• Familiarity with the values of a nonprofit, media, and/or other mission-driven organization
• Ability and willingness to work varied shifts
Ability and willingness to travel around the country
Physical Demands of position.
Traveling; Setting up and breaking down displays
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NPR is committed to being an inclusive workplace that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed public. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, age, religion, religious belief, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, transgender status, gender non-conforming status, intersex status, sexual stereotypes, nationality, citizenship status, personal appearance, marital status, family status, family responsibilities, military status, veteran status, mental and physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, genetic characteristics of yourself or a family member, political views and affiliation, unemployment status, protective order status, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking, or any other basis prohibited under applicable law.