This was removed by the employer on 11/12/2020 5:44:00 AM PST
Not to worry we have a lot of other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Radio Category
Browse the Writing Category
Search for Senior Editor jobs in Washington-DC
Search all Senior Editor postings
Are you an employer?
How do I hire a Senior Editor? OVERVIEW
Across our organization, we’re building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success.
NPR is looking for an experienced editor to contribute to several shows, including Embedded, Rough Translation and Invisibilia.
The Senior Editor is a key editorial position, helping to build NPR’s capacity for telling thoughtful, deeply reported stories. The ideal candidate cares about story structure, finding compelling characters, and sticking a landing. We are looking for someone who writes and supports writing with flair and accuracy, recognizes original reporting and ambitious storytelling, and has a deep understanding of and love for narrative journalism. In addition, we are looking for an editor who has an inclusive approach to their work and is committed to finding and featuring voices that reflect the full range of human experience.
Performs the duties of Senior Editor, editing podcast episodes and planning future stories.
• Edits podcast episodes and other content, as needed
• Writes and produces content to support shows, as needed
• Active leader in pitch meetings, pitching specific stories as well themes/broader areas of coverage
• Assists hosts/reporters with prep for interviews and reporting assignments
• Assists hosts/reporters in organizing and focusing their stories throughout reporting, writing, editing and fact checking process
• Assists with future planning, development of host projects, and strategic partnerships
Makes assignments and provides editorial guidance to staff.
• Reviews pitches from team and outside contributors to determine assignments
• Monitors show for overall balance, variety of stories and types of pieces
• Regularly provides constructive critiques of stories in meetings with staff and contributors.
Is responsible for editorial integrity and quality of published products.
• Edits stories for continuity, integrity of journalism, quality of writing, manner of presentation, and consistency of style.
• Ensures that all materials aired meet NPR program standards and practices, including standards of fairness, objectivity, and balance.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
• At least eight years journalism experience
• Thorough knowledge of and passion for long-form narrative storytelling in the audio space
• Considerable skill in both news and feature editing
• Ability to work collaboratively with a highly creative team
• Ability to synthesize large amounts of information into actionable tasks and delegate effectively.
• Experience maintaining high journalistic standards under deadline pressure, including standards of objectivity, balance and fairness.
• Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system.
• Ability and willingness to work varied shifts.
• Ability to relocate. In the future, NPR may choose to transfer employees to other geographic locations. Severance provisions of the AFTRA collective bargaining agreement will apply should you choose not to accept a transfer.
• Broadcast experience strongly preferred.
• Demonstrated writing ability.
• Original reporting experience.
• Knowledge of basic and advanced principles of audio production for information and news programming.
• Experience with the type of audio production done at NPR.
• Experience in online journalism.
• Experience leading highly creative teams.
• Experience working in and/or knowledge of public radio and the public radio system.
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NPR is committed to being an inclusive place to work that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed public. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
This job is no longer available. Click here to view current job listings.