Senior Editor, Standards & Practices
Full Time Job
Across our organization, we’re building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success.
The Senior Editor for Standards and Practices will be a passionate, experienced journalist who understands and values the need for regular, consistent application of standards and practices, and the need for a strong ethical approach to daily journalism. The senior editor will be the newsroom leader on the development & application of standards practices across all of our platforms, in partnership with other newsroom leaders, programming leaders and a diverse advisory board of journalists. The senior editor will tackle many of the day to day ethical and reporting issues that arise throughout the news cycle, as well as work with the content divisions to continue to evolve our guidelines, language and ethical practices to meet the times we are living in.
• Serve as the primary point person in the content divisions, and across the NPR network, on Standards & Practices questions. You will work with constituents in the newsroom and programming divisions to respond to daily standards and practices questions across NPR’s many content platforms.
• Lead a rotating team of key newsroom journalists who will serve as our Standards and Practices Board to respond to breaking news guidance, ethical issues, corrections, in partnership with newsroom leaders.
• Meet biannually with journalism affinity groups to gather input on language considerations.
• Working with leaders in the newsroom, regularly review and update the NPR stylebook as needs evolve.
• Develop and maintain relations with NPR member stations newsrooms, and occasionally represent NPR to member stations or at events regarding journalism standards and ethics.
• Proactively issue coverage guidance ahead of big news events
• Provide regular and constructive feedback and career development for performance evaluations.
• 10 years of journalism experience delivering to multiple platforms, preferably at the national level
• 10 years of supervisory and managerial experience leading teams through major stories, and complex coverage areas
• Demonstrated excellence navigating the terrain of ethical questions that regularly arise regarding broadcast, digital content, podcasts, and social media
• Ability to lead and collaborate in a highly matrixed organization
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• Ability to handle multiple and complex projects simultaneously under stringent timeframes and changing priorities/conditions
• Experience editing for radio preferred
• Familiarity with NPR member stations and public media system preferred
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NPR is committed to being an inclusive place to work that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed public. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.