Senior Digital Analyst
Full Time Job
Across our organization, we’re building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success.
Do you have a passion for digital analytics and experience applying your knowledge in a media organization? Do you want to be challenged by your job and be surrounded by passionate, dedicated, and creative people in a mission-driven environment? Then this role is for you.
As a Senior Digital Analyst in NPR’s newsroom, you will extract insights from complex media usage data sets, work with NPR editorial teams on reporting and analyses, train reporters, producers, and editors on how to incorporate data and analytics in their journalistic pursuits, and be an analytics thought leader for NPR’s newsroom. You’ll be part of the newsroom and collaborate closely with the Audience Insights team of analysts and researchers, working directly with journalists and editorial leaders on a daily basis to uncover actionable trends and insights about NPR’s content — written, audio, and visual content across platforms.
You have a unique blend of thoughtful data-driven curiosity and pragmatism. You know how to make data come to life and be actionable. And you’re inspired by the idea of using data to make NPR (and the world) a better place.
This is a grant-funded position for 3 years. But the position has been designed with the intention of making it a part of our ongoing budget from that point forward.
• Provide daily cross-platform analytics briefings to newsroom and programming leadership to inform day-to-day editorial priorities.
• Lead analysis and insights for the newsroom to uncover trends and insights in key areas that influence NPR and Member station content and distribution strategy.
• Build strong working relationships with editorial colleagues to collaboratively define analytics priorities and communicate actionable content and distribution insights.
• Design and deliver training to reporters, producers, and editors on how to incorporate data and analytics from centralized reporting dashboards in their daily decision-making.
• Collaborate with the Audience Insights team to define KPIs for NPR’s text, audio, and visual content performance across digital platforms.
• Help NPR further deepen the relationships with its audiences based on understanding what is engaging with readers and listeners.
EDUCATION: Bachelor's degree or equivalent in work experience.
• Proven experience working with editorial teams to apply analytics data to drive content strategy, production, planning, and distribution.
• Self-starter with the ability to work independently as well as in a collaborative team environment.
• Multiple years of experience generating insights from analytics data across digital platforms using the following tools:
• Web and app analytics tools like Google Analytics, Adobe Omniture, Firebase, or similar
• Search Engine Optimization tools like Google Search Console, SEMRush, or similar
• Social Analytics tools like Facebook Analytics, CrowdTangle, Sprout, or similar
• Real-Time web analytics tools like Chartbeat, Parse.ly, or similar
• Multiple years of experience working in a fast-paced media environment with the ability to turn around analysis and insights quickly.
• Excellent oral, written, and visual communication skills, particularly for explaining complex quantitative information to non-technical audiences.
• Experience training non-technical audiences on using analytics tools and dashboards to incorporate data into their daily decision-making processes — making analytics actionable
• Experience mentoring early career analysts and/or teaching experience
• Experience fetching data using SQL and/or analytics APIs (Google Cloud or BigQuery experience a plus)
• Experience building intuitive dashboards for users with a wide range of data savviness
• Experience designing measurement and analytics implementation plans for digital content
• Experience working as a journalist
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NPR is committed to being an inclusive place to work that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed public. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.