Senior Analyst, Content Strategy
Full Time Job
Do you have a passion for consumer insights and a thirst to apply your knowledge to public media? Do you want to be challenged by your job and be surrounded by passionate, dedicated, and creative people in a mission-driven environment? Then this role is for you.
As a Senior Analyst, you will maintain our 10,000-listener-strong Listener Panel and leverage that resource and others to provide actionable insight to our internal clients. This role focuses primarily on content evaluation: you will be at the forefront of evaluating NPR’s pilots and existing shows.
You are inquisitive, eager to learn, and nimble. Most importantly, you have a drive to make things better, demonstrate consistent follow-up, and never stop delivering value to NPR. You’ll be part of NPR’s Audience Insights team of analysts and researchers, working closely with Programming, the Newsroom, and Marketing.
• Plans & administers NPR Listens Panel recruitment plans, ensuring the composition of the panel meets organizational needs.
• Monitor Panel health and data quality, and resolve any issues in need of attention.
• Apply best industry practices to maintaining Panel health and high response rates for all NPR research studies.
• Maintain Panel hygiene by deleting inactive members, archiving old projects, updating variables, etc.
• Handle all communications with Panelists, including managing the Panel email inbox.
• Coordinate responses from all department staff to Panelist inquiries
• Collaborate with internal stakeholders and project managers on project design.
• Design survey instruments and projects to meet multiple research needs across NPR, including Programming, the Newsroom, Corporate Sponsorship, and Marketing.
• Coordinate and plan timing with AI staff for all research projects fielded on the Panel.
• Take the lead on oversight for survey gate-keeping - review of all surveys for tone, quality, connection to other studies, accumulation of historical knowledge.
• Troubleshoot data, analyze and interpret results.
• Oversee Panel based foundational studies such as monthly trackers.
• Trains staff on functional software tasks including survey programming, variable coding and data exporting; troubleshoots reported problems.
• Administers sample design & Panel execution for all NPR Panel research projects; final quality-control approval of all Panel research projects.
• Run reports in Windows environment using software such as SPSS, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft PowerPoint, and other programs.
• Produces reports and presentation materials on Panel research studies
• Facilitate learning reviews for mining and synthesis of new knowledge into actionable innovation, brand, category and segment insights.
• Identify opportunities to utilize Panel to increase the pace or depth of learning.
• Keep running list of Panel users’ needs and Panel platform improvements
• Oversee the relationship(s) with external Panel supplier including contract negotiation, quality assurance for back-end coding.
• Evaluate software products from research Panel vendors, and communicate with vendors about performance-related issues
• Define the role of the audience Panel and advise clients on how best appropriate to use the Panel for NPR and Public Radio research needs.
• Responsible for communications with various vendors for day-to-day operations and ensuring needs for various research projects are on schedule and that data received is satisfactory.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree in statistics, marketing, business, policy or communications preferred.
• Minimum of five years’ experience as a market researcher.
• Expert knowledge of media and market research techniques and methodology.
• Thorough knowledge of a variety of market research methodologies.
• Experience executing both qualitative and quantitative research studies
• Experience executing all elements of complex research studies.
• Proficiency in Windows, Excel, and Word processing.
• Experience managing and maintaining databases
• Familiarity with statistical analysis techniques and SPSS.
• Detail oriented and strong data analysis skills. Able to communicate complex findings in a clear and engaging manner.
• Excellent organization and verbal and written communication skills. Demonstrated presence and authority in dealing with people at all organizational levels.
• Experience dealing with diverse stakeholders including innovation, research, product development, content creation, and marketing.
• Must have the ability to manage and create concurrent work plans for multiple projects.
• Must be able to deal with people in a variety of settings.
• An understanding of NPR and public radio and current trends.
• Prefer experience with online research communities and proprietary panels.
• Research supplier-side experience highly preferred.
• Knowledge of programming languages a plus.
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer that affirmatively seeks to hire veterans and people with disabilities. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or national origin.
Want more NPR? Explore the stories behind the stories on our NPR Extra blog. Get social with NPR Extra on Facebook and on Twitter and Instagram. Find more career opportunities on our website and on Twitter.