Reporter, Science Podcast
Full Time Job
We’re looking for a creative and accomplished journalist to be a reporter and back-up host for a new daily science podcast launching this fall.
This smart, fun podcast will use insights and discoveries from science to help listeners see things a little differently. This will be short-form, digital-first content that reaches listeners where they are, whether it’s on smart speakers, new audio-on-demand choices in cars or your favorite podcast app.
• Identify and showcase engaging stories that use science to help us see the world a little differently.
• Conceive, research, propose ideas and interviews for episodes.
• As reporter and back up host, prepare and present content in original, compelling, entertaining and provocative ways
• Write, edit, revise and deliver scripts related to the program.
• Participate in the production of the program.
• Ensure audio and stories are accurate and assist with performing story editing and fact-checking as needed.
• Engage in program planning conversations
• Maintain highest-quality audio standards.
• Other duties as assigned
• At least 4 years’ in journalism reporting and writing.
• Work effectively with a minimum of supervision, even in complicated situations.
• Ability to work quickly and efficiently under tight deadlines.
• Demonstrated writing skills
• Audio skills a plus
• Subject matter expertise. Some reporting preferred.
• Ability and willingness to relocate. NPR may choose to transfer employees to other geographic locations. Severance provisions of the AFTRA collective bargaining agreement will apply should you choose not to accept a transfer.
• Ability and willingness to work varied shifts.
• Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent education and experience
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer that affirmatively seeks to hire veterans and people with disabilities.
All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or national origin.