This was removed by the employer on 4/6/2020 8:44:00 AM PST
Not to worry we have a lot of other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Broadcast News Category
Browse the Radio Category
Browse the Writing Category
Search for Public Editor jobs in Washington-DC
Search all Public Editor postings
Are you an employer?
How do I hire a Public Editor? The NPR Public Editor serves as the public’s representative to NPR in matters of journalism and journalism ethics, providing a forum for audience views and reporting on behalf of the public. The Public Editor reports directly to the President and Chief Executive Officer but maintains journalistic independence. The Public Editor performs duties including but not limited to:
• Writing and speaking about NPR’s news coverage and journalism ethics, aiming for several blog and/or social media posts each week;
• Analyzing NPR’s journalism. The Public Editor is empowered to offer independent, informed, constructive criticism and praise of the work NPR does;
• Reporting on audience questions, complaints or comments by seeking insights and answers from newsroom leaders;
• Informing the public about NPR’s policies and practices;
• Providing leadership across public radio on matters of journalism ethics and standards;
• Visiting and connecting regularly with NPR Member stations across the country;
• Staying current on media ethics issues and trends; and
• Preparing semi-annual reports of activities for NPR’s President and CEO.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree or significant journalistic experience and expertise.
• At least 10 years of full-time newsroom/academic experience. Journalism experience, ideally at the national level;
• Proven track record of journalistic excellence and the highest standards of professional ethics and personal integrity;
• Substantive knowledge of journalism ethics and experience leading ethics initiatives and/or reporting on journalism ethics issues;
• Excellent writing and public speaking skills;
• Must be able to travel as needed;
• Digital and social media proficiency and sophistication;
• Diplomatic style that engenders respect and trust;
• Ability to work with a minimum of supervision and to manage others.
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NPR is committed to being an inclusive place to work that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed public. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. This job is no longer available. Click here to view current job listings.