Production Assistant, Weekend Edition
Full Time Job
Across our organization, we’re building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success.
A Production Assistant assists in producing program material for hosts, producers/editors, reporters and other contributors to Weekend Edition and the Up First podcast. A strong candidate will have experience generating story and interview ideas, booking guests and working on live news, navigating tight deadlines. Strong research, writing, and communications skills are essential, both for audio and digital/social platforms. This is a fast paced, deadline driven environment where quality journalism comes first.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS (Responsibilities or Duties)
• Stays current with major stories and regularly pitches ideas for host interviews
• Conducts research and assists in arranging interviews, by booking guests and handling associated logistics
• Pre-interviews guests and prepares research material for hosts
• Drafts host copy, including but not limited to, scripts, billboards, tape and copy elements, connective copy between elements with editorial supervision
• Edits audio for air
• Gathers news, and interacts with audience (as necessary and assigned), through relevant social media platforms
• Produces the Up First podcast
• Works various shifts, as assigned
• Performs other duties as assigned, including possibility of newsroom rotations to support other NPR news magazines, newscast unit, news gathering desks, programming or other editorial teams as required.
EDUCATION: Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience demonstrating a proven interest in journalism.
• At least one year of experience in news journalism
• Ability to edit audio on digital editing systems
• Ability to collect, organize and disseminate information effectively through standard show workflow and protocols
• Demonstrated ability to work quickly and efficiently under deadline pressure. Ability to handle more than one assignment at a time; ability to prioritize, anticipate and communicate effectively
• Understanding of journalistic ethics
• Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system
• Ability and willingness to work varied shifts
• Ability and willingness to relocate. In the future, NPR may choose to transfer employees to other geographic locations. Severance provisions of the AFTRA collective bargaining agreement will apply should you choose not to accept a transfer
PREFERRED SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
• Managing Complexity
• Learning Agility
• Building Stakeholder Relationships
• Quality Decision Making
• Experience in radio broadcasting
• Experience producing in and operating digital audio self-op facilities
• Experience directing live radio program
• Ability to gather audio in the field without supervision
• Ability to assist with planning and field production for host travel
• Ability to initiate, plan and produce program material for series or other long-term projects, with minimal supervision
• Ability to pitch complex elements or innovative angles on top news stories
• Demonstrated writing ability for broadcast with an emphasis on clarity, economy of phrase and a strong grasp of the rules of grammar
• Experience booking and writing briefs on newsmakers
• Digital media skills, including proficiency in social media as a tool for topic research, news-gathering and audience interaction
• Familiarity with NPR Podcasts & Programming
• Strong research skills across legacy and new media data sources
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NPR is committed to being an inclusive place to work that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed public. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.