Production Assistant, Morning Edition NPR West
NPRCulver City, DC
This was removed by the employer on 7/14/2021 9:44:00 AM PST
Not to worry we have a lot of other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Assistant and Entry Level Category
Browse the Broadcast News Category
Browse the Crew Category
Browse the Radio Category
Search for Production Assistant, Morning Edition NPR West jobs in Culver City-DC
Search all Production Assistant, Morning Edition NPR West postings
Are you an employer?
How do I hire a Production Assistant, Morning Edition NPR West?
Full Time Job
Across our organization, we’re building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success.
NPR’s flagship morning news program Morning Edition and its podcast Up First are looking for an experienced Production Assistant to support Morning Edition’s California-based host and team at NPR West in Culver City, California. This position helps produce program material for NPR’s flagship morning show and daily morning podcast. The Production Assistant generates story and interview ideas, researches topics and guests, books live interviews and assists in writing copy for show hosts. The Production Assistant mixes pieces, pulls soundbites, assembles the podcast, and helps with breaking news. They establish on-air connections and troubleshoot issues. The ideal candidate is a skilled audio producer and accustomed to working under tight deadlines. They also have experience writing for digital and social media platforms. The selected candidate must be available to regularly work the overnights to bring the live show to air and willing to rotate across shifts when needed.
• Supports Morning Edition’s bicoastal overnight editorial and production teams.
• Works closely with Morning Edition’s Culver City-based host overnight in preparation for, and during, the live broadcast.
• Supports the directing team and the line team with logistics and troubleshooting issues as they finalize the show for air.
• Edits audio for air, including both host interviews and reporter pieces, which often require complex mixes.
• Regularly works the overnight hours when Culver City-based host is on-air; rotates through other shifts, including early mornings and swing, as assigned.
• Helps prepare scripts and other material, with editorial oversight. This includes show opens, returns, tape and copy elements and interview briefs for hosts.
• Pitches story ideas and potential show guests.
• Works under tight deadlines to react to breaking and developing news.
• Assists with the production of Up First, with editorial assistance.
• May be given assignments on different platforms such as social media and digital.
EDUCATION: Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience.
• At least two years of experience in live broadcasting.
• At least two years of experience in news journalism.
• Proficient in production skills, including editing and recording; demonstrated ability to edit audio on digital editing systems
• Works on original journalism and enterprise stories generated by the show
• Pitches and produces newsmaker interviews
• Demonstrated ability to write news scripts on deadline with an emphasis on clarity, economy of phrase and a strong grasp of the rules of grammar.
• Firm understanding of journalistic ethics; experience practicing high journalistic standards, including accuracy, objectivity, fairness, and balance.
• Strong research skills.
• Assists in the production of daily podcast content
• Ability to collect, organize and communicate information effectively, especially across shifts using established workflow guides.
• Ability to handle more than one assignment at a time; ability to prioritize, anticipate and communicate effectively about assignments.
• Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system.
• Ability and willingness to work overnights and varied shifts.
• Ability to relocate.
• Experience producing in studios and operating digital audio self-op facilities.
• Digital media skills, including proficiency in social media as a tool for topic research, news-gathering and audience interaction.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NPR is committed to being an inclusive workplace that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed public. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, age, religion, religious belief, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, lactation, and reproductive health decisions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, transgender status, gender non-conforming status, intersex status, sexual stereotypes, nationality, citizenship status, personal appearance, marital status, family status, family responsibilities, military status, veteran status, mental and physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, genetic characteristics of yourself or a family member, political views and affiliation, unemployment status, protective order status, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking, or any other basis prohibited under applicable law.