Production Assistant, Digital News
This was removed by the employer on 3/5/2020 5:02:00 AM PST
Not to worry we have a lot of other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Assistant and Entry Level Category
Browse the Broadcast News Category
Browse the Direct to Web Category
Browse the Radio Category
Search for Production Assistant, Digital News jobs in Washington-DC
Search all Production Assistant, Digital News postings
Are you an employer?
How do I hire a Production Assistant, Digital News? NPR’s Digital Content team is looking for a highly motivated multi-platform journalist to produce the All Things Considered rundown, a daily lineup of the show’s stories and interviews that appears on NPR.org. The production assistant also will work with the Digital Content team’s editors to occasionally report and write stories for the web. As such, the production assistant job is a hybrid role, and the ideal candidate is someone who can work comfortably under daily deadlines in both the digital and broadcast worlds. Strong spelling, grammar and headline-writing skills are essential for this position. The job requires a 40-hour week that includes evenings and some holidays.
• Produces the daily All Things Considered show rundown for NPR.org and communicates with NPR member stations about stories that will be featured on each day’s show
• Writes brief synopses and headlines to highlight interviews and other show content
• Demonstrates excellent spelling, grammar and headline-writing skills and a strong knowledge of Associated Press style
• Occasionally reports and writes digital stories, working closely with the Digital Content team’s editors
• Works under tight daily deadlines
• Assists with web production of stories as necessary
• Ability and willingness to work evenings, some holidays and occasional weekends as assigned
• Other duties as assigned
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience; a journalism degree is preferred.
• Minimum of 1 year of journalism experience
• Familiarity with specialty topics such as world news, business, sports, science, music or arts
• Solid, independent news judgment
• Demonstrated skills in writing headlines and teaser copy
• Strong knowledge of Associated Press style
• Ability to work quickly and efficiently under deadline
• Understanding of journalistic ethics. Experience maintaining high journalistic standards, including standards of objectivity, balance and fairness
• Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
• Ability to work independently and with members of a team
• Ability to have effective oral communication skills
• Ability and willingness to work an assigned shift, including nights, weekends and holidays
• Ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system
• Ability and willingness to relocate. In the future, NPR may choose to transfer employees to other geographic locations. Severance provisions of the SAG-AFTRA collective bargaining agreement will apply should you choose not to accept a transfer.
PREFERRED SKILLS &COMPTENCIES
• Daily news experience
• Experience working under breaking news conditions
• Knowledge of audio production
• Managing Complexity
• Learning Agility
• Flexibility with Ambiguity
• Building Stakeholder relationships
• Problem Solving Skills
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NPR is committed to being an inclusive place to work that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed public. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
This job is no longer available. Click here to view current job listings.