Production Assistant - Digital Engagement, Elections
Full Time Job
Production Assistant - Digital Engagement, Elections (Short-Term Assignment)
The Washington Desk is looking for a savvy and inventive digital and social media production assistant to contribute to our coverage of the 2020 campaign – someone who is committed to collaborative storytelling on various platforms. The production assistant will facilitate the creation of smart and visual content, native to the platforms where it’s delivered, to help drive NPR Politics’ social engagement through the course of the 2020 campaign. The successful candidate will build on the desk's news-driven content to engage and grow our digital/social audience and provide insights on audience interests to enhance our coverage. NPR is committed to meeting our audience wherever they are, and this position is a vital part of that mission.
This is a short-term assignment based in Washington, DC that will end in January 2021.
• Generating content on NPR Politics social channels to engage the audience with our coverage of the 2020 election
• Create and promote engaging presentation of election stories for NPR.org
• Contribute to maintaining NPR Politics social channels
• Create multimedia elements, including videos, audio grams, photo galleries, and interactive elements, as assigned.
• Write headlines, promo copy and captions
• Assist in planning online coverage of major campaign events and feature stories, as well as special packages and projects.
• Generate story ideas and follow through on them.
• Collaborate with the network’s Engagement and Visuals teams to plan and execute engaging digital presentation of show-side reporting, especially special host projects/trips.
• Collaborate with analysts and product managers in tracking key social metrics.
• Education: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university or equivalent in journalism, a writing-intensive discipline or fine arts (or the equivalent combination of education and experience)
• At least two years’ experience managing social media channels for a major news/media brand and demonstrated ability to participate in, contribute to and grow online communities.
• Strong communication skills
• Familiarity with navigating a variety of content management systems
• Ability to craft a comprehensive, cross-platform social strategy
• Ability and willingness to work varied shifts
• Ability to document internal processes and analyze audience data
• Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously under stringent timeframes and changing priorities/conditions
• Ability to both work independently and collaborate with others
• Graphic design or illustration experience
• Ability to shoot and edit photos and video
• Familiarity with editing audio
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development. NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
NPR’s Washington Desk produces sophisticated yet accessible coverage of the White House, Congress, the Supreme Court, the Justice Department and electoral politics. Vital to our mission are the following: original reporting, insightful analysis and a commitment to explanatory journalism. Known for our work ethic, the Washington Desk aspires to great storytelling both on air and online. Our coverage is featured on Morning Edition, All Things Considered, NPR.org, the NPR Politics Podcast and Up First.