Full Time Job
Producer I - III (Limited Term Assignment)
Across our organization, we’re building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success.
We need experienced producers who want to work in a fast-paced and deadline-driven environment with some of the best journalists in the business.
Your creative ideas, ability to edit audio, write news and program copy as well as your familiarity with digital and social content will keep our listeners informed while helping to shape the sound of NPR’s programs. Successful candidates will be primarily assigned to fill long term temporary assignments on NPR’s news magazine shows; Morning Edition, All Things Considered, Weekend Edition, and Weekend All Things Considered. This assignment will require essential on-site shifts at our Washington, DC headquarters. Shifts may rotate through dayside, mid-day and overnights.
This is a temporary onsite role.
• Initiates, plans and produces program material for next day and future shows
• Makes key decisions on updates to later feeds of the program
• Edits tape and writes copy with minimal supervision and direction
• Must be comfortable in studio setting and able to instruct and work with hosts and reporters remotely
• Occasionally may be assigned to work in the field; planning, executing and traveling with reporters and hosts while producing key stories
• Performs other duties as assigned
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
• At least four to eight years of experience as a reporter, editor, or producer
• Experience working on a live, daily news show
• Experience producing live and breaking coverage
• Expertise in producing features
• At least two years of experience in editorial decision-making
• Well-developed curiosity in a wide range of subjects
• Ability and willingness to work flexible hours and varied shifts on site at NPR HQ, including overnight and weekends
• Maintains internal relationships with other members of the daily program staff and works with the evening editorial staff on the News Desk
• Experience assigning staff, especially under deadline pressure
• Demonstrated ability to generate and execute complex creative ideas, to assimilate and organize large amounts of information
• Strong oral communication skills
• Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system
• Experience line producing a live show under daily and breaking news conditions
• Experience writing and editing under breaking news conditions
• Experience working in and/or knowledge of public radio and the public radio system
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NPR is committed to being an inclusive workplace that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed public. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, age, religion, religious belief, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, lactation, and reproductive health decisions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, transgender status, gender non-conforming status, intersex status, sexual stereotypes, nationality, citizenship status, personal appearance, marital status, family status, family responsibilities, military status, veteran status, mental and physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, genetic characteristics of yourself or a family member, political views and affiliation, unemployment status, protective order status, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking, or any other basis prohibited under applicable law.