Producer I - Ted Radio Hour
Full Time Job
The team at TED Radio Hour is a highly collaborative, curious, nimble, and hardworking group producing one of NPR’s top programs. Our podcast show is broadcast on more than 600 member stations nationwide, and downloaded by millions of listeners each week. TED Radio Hour is a journey through fascinating ideas, astonishing inventions, fresh approaches to old problems, and new ways to think and create. The program includes excerpts from some of the world’s deepest thinkers and innovators speaking on the renowned TED stage. The TED Radio Hour team takes the most compelling talks and organizes them around a common theme or question, such as: How do we define beauty? Are we alone in the universe? What happens to our humanity as we become increasingly dependent on machines? TED Radio Hour digs deep into each subject through conversations with TED speakers and other guests. Music and sound weave throughout each episode, bringing the themes and concepts to life through vivid audio storytelling.
We are looking for a Producer who can do it all: pitch smart and engaging episodes; dive deep into complex and compelling ideas about what it means to be human; craft a richly textured multi-layered mix using multiple sources of audio, music and sound; write tight crisp scripts finding our host’s voice; mentor junior producers on storytelling style and aesthetic approach; and mix together a podcast week after week both quickly and with care and fastidious attention to detail.
• Edits audio.
• Edits host interviews, archive audio, and actualities
• Prepares scripts and other materials as required
• Builds sub-sections of program by editing, scripting and linking two or more related pieces, music and other elements
• Compiles all elements of program for final mix
• Distributes mixes to all programming platforms (radio, podcast, digital)
• Assists in producing program material for host, producers, and others in studio.
• Works with host, producers, and others in arranging for related elements to complete or supplement a piece
• Generates segment and interview ideas.
• Researches and pitches ideas for interviews and segments
• Prepares questions and approaches to host interviews
• Conducts research and assists in arranging interviews
• Pre-interviews guests and prepares research material for host
• Writes program copy.
• Drafts copy for host interviews and digital components of the show
• Writes open and return copy
• Bargaining unit employees may be given assignments on different platforms, such as multimedia production, including producing Web text, interactive material and multimedia content.
• Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
• At least 4 years’ experience in broadcasting
• At least 4 years’ experience in news journalism
• At least 4 years’ journalism-related research, with ability to collect, organize and disseminate information
• Strong digital media skills, including proficiency in social media as both a newsgathering technique and, especially, as a way to distribute content.
• Ability to edit audio
• Thorough knowledge of research tools, including computer access data banks.
• Demonstrated writing ability
• Demonstrated ability to work quickly and efficiently under deadline pressure. Ability to handle more than one assignment at a time; ability to prioritize, anticipate and communicate effectively
• Ability and willingness to work varied shifts
• Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team
• Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system
• Ability and willingness to relocate. In the future, NPR may choose to transfer employees to other geographic locations
• Experience in radio broadcasting
• Experience producing in and operating digital audio self-op facilities
• Familiarity with TED Talks
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered. Please submit a cover letter, your resume, portfolio and (if applicable) GitHub profile.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer that affirmatively seeks to hire veterans and people with disabilities. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or national origin.
Want more NPR? Explore the stories behind the stories on our NPR Extra blog. Get social with NPR Extra on Facebook and follow us on Twitter and Instagram. Find more career opportunities at our website and on Twitter.