Producer I, Investigations Team
Full Time Job
Be a part of NPR’s award-winning Investigations Team, helping to identify, report and produce distinctive journalism on multiple platforms. Collaborate with journalists from NPR Member Stations and from other NPR desks and shows to create original stories, particularly through the acquisition and analysis of unique data sets. Take on a leadership role in helping NPR and Member Stations to use advanced reporting techniques to develop unique and distinctive stories. Report stories and cultivate sources to create meaningful content for the radio and digital platforms. The team’s mission is to produce exclusive, important journalism of consequence, and each team member’s role is essential.
• Assist NPR Member Station reporters and NPR correspondents in the acquisition and analysis of data and other raw reporting;
• Suggest and execute data analysis and reporting for enterprise stories;
• Pitch, report and produce enterprise stories, conduct story research and identify and interview sources, both independently and in a team;
• Acquire relevant online data through various means, including using API and web scraping;
• Gather audio and photography in the field;
• Work with reporters, editors and producers to create and coordinate story packages and their components;
• Edit and mix audio and develop proficiency in producing correspondent pieces;
• Conceive, craft and file public records requests;
• Help build up the newsroom’s data literacy and skills through training;
• Provide technical assistance and editorial advice to newsroom colleagues and member station reporters who want to use data in news stories;
• Stay abreast of trends and developments in data and audio journalism;
• Other duties as assigned
EDUCATION Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience.
• Minimum of 4 years' experience in journalism
• Experience in investigative journalism, including acquisition and analysis of public records and data.
• Familiarity with existing public data sets that could be helpful to news reporting;
• Familiarity with data visualization principles and tools;
• Ability to write well-documented code using programming languages such as Python, R and SQL;
• Proven understanding of statistical principles;
• Familiarity with audio recording equipment and audio editing software
• Demonstrated ability to work quickly and efficiently under deadline pressure. Ability to handle more than one assignment at a time; ability to prioritize, anticipate and communicate effectively.
• Familiarity with social media platforms and Web 2.0 functionalities.
• Ability to stay focused and organized while pursuing complex reporting projects.
• Ability to travel and work remotely and effectively with limited supervision.
• Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system
PREFERRED COMPETENCIES & SKILLS
• Experience with Web or multimedia production
• Experience in public radio
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NPR is committed to being an inclusive workplace that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed public. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, age, religion, religious belief, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, transgender status, gender non-conforming status, intersex status, sexual stereotypes, nationality, citizenship status, personal appearance, marital status, family status, family responsibilities, military status, veteran status, mental and physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, genetic characteristics of yourself or a family member, political views and affiliation, unemployment status, protective order status, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking, or any other basis prohibited under applicable law.