Producer / Editor I Weekend All Things Considered
Full Time Job
Across our organization, we’re building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success.
Weekend All Things Considered is NPR’s influential, informative, and thought-provoking weekend evening news magazine. WATC is seeking a highly skilled, creative journalist to join the team. The Producer/Editor will play a leading role in shaping the show’s coverage of news and feature stories. The successful candidate can respond quickly during breaking news, plan and execute long-term creative projects, work closely with the show host and editorial and production staff. The Editor/Producer may line edit or line produce, as needed, handle bookings, and prepare and edit material for daily, future and ongoing broadcasts.
• Tracks ongoing flow of news and recommends specific stories and areas of coverage, generating assignments for self and others.
• Supports management team across shifts, updating aggressively in advance of and during the live broadcast.
• Initiates, plans and produces program material for that day’s show and for future shows with minimal editorial supervision.
• Consistently generates timely and well thought-out story/interview ideas.
• Edits interviews and related continuity, with minimal editorial supervision.
• Writes news and program copy, including hosts’ leads.
• May be given assignments on other platforms like writing for Web.
• May act as line editor or line producer for the on-air production of NPR programs, both regularly scheduled programs and special reports
• Assists in the field with reporters and hosts as assigned (including projects requiring self-directed research, planning and solid editorial judgment.)
• Coordinates activities of hosts, reporters, and production personnel assigned to remote projects.
• Maintains working knowledge of all the latest sound-gathering and filing technologies in use at NPR.
• Trains junior members of staff.
• Maintains internal relationships with other members of the staff and with other NPR program and desk staffs
• Works various shifts, as assigned
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent work experience.
• At least four years of radio, digital and/or TV production experience including experience on broadcast digital audio workstations (ie MTE/DAVID, Dalet, Cool Edit, protocols’ or similar)
• At least four years of experience in live news broadcasting
• At least four years’ experience in editorial decision making with demonstrated ability to exercise solid, independent news judgment.
• Ability and willingness to work varied shifts as assigned.
• Demonstrated ability to assimilate and organize large amounts of information.
• Demonstrated ability to help coordinate daily news coverage quickly and efficiently under deadline pressure
• Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously under stringent timeframes, with changing priorities/conditions.
• Familiarity with a range of subject areas such as world news, business, science, and arts.
• Demonstrated excellence in news writing and copy-editing, especially on deadline.
• Understanding of journalistic ethics.
• Experience maintaining high journalistic standards under deadline pressure, including standards of objectivity, balance and fairness.
• Strong communication skills, both written and oral.
• Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system.
• Ability to relocate. In the future, NPR may choose to transfer employees to other geographic locations.
PREFERRED COMPETENCIES & SKILLS
• Managing Complexity
• Balancing Stakeholder Relationships
• Expertise in producing shows and podcasts
• Experience working in and/or knowledge of public radio and the public radio system
• Experience with digital and multimedia production.
• Demonstrated understanding of, and familiarity with, social media platforms
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NPR is committed to being an inclusive workplace that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed public. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, age, religion, religious belief, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, lactation, and reproductive health decisions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, transgender status, gender non-conforming status, intersex status, sexual stereotypes, nationality, citizenship status, personal appearance, marital status, family status, family responsibilities, military status, veteran status, mental and physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, genetic characteristics of yourself or a family member, political views and affiliation, unemployment status, protective order status, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking, or any other basis prohibited under applicable law.