Operations Desk Manager
Full Time Job
Across our organization, we’re building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success. We are committed to doing the right thing in our journalism and in every role at NPR. This means that integrity, adherence to our ethical standards, and compliance with legal obligations are fundamental responsibilities for every employee at NPR.
Content Operations manages the production systems, resources and workflows used by content creators. We oversee, help design and control the tools, processes, and services used to support content production and operations across multiple platforms.
Operations Desk Manager.
Reporting to the VP of Content Operations, you will manage day-to-day, newsroom and programming operations in collaboration with other Content Ops leaders. In addition, you will directly manage, and work alongside, the Ops Desk staff to coordinate technical resources and arrange production logistics for daily shows, breaking news, specials, field assignments and remote broadcasts. You will ensure that the Ops Desk staff is properly trained and prepared to meet various news gathering and broadcast needs. You will also be responsible for helping to manage (procure, set-up, inventory) loaner and assigned equipment process, and work with Ops and tech leaders to make sure that News and Programming staffs have the needed gear and training to work at home, in the office, or in the field. Finally, essential to this role is a commitment to cultivating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive working environment.
• Coordinate with News, Audio Engineering, IT, Ops and other managers to plan appropriate production support for daily news and programming priorities, as well as certain station broadcast needs.
• Lead and coach the Ops Desk team of producers to cover a near 24/7 operation, and execute on daily and special broadcast operation needs.
• Address daily production issues and concerns with the appropriate parties. Work with others to respond to station inquiries about broadcast discrepancies, and assist with disaster recovery planning and resolution.
• As a Content Ops manager, you will be a part of the 24/7 on-call manager rotation to respond to, communicate about, and resolve production and program delivery emergencies.
• Oversee studio management and booking process including administrating the studio scheduling system and outside client business.
• Help maintain a system to track the deployment and return of production equipment used for all reporting and producing staff.
• Assist with the identification, evaluation, selection and administration of production equipment, mobile technology, and third-party services needed for in-house, field and home production. Secure and shepherd associated vendor agreements as needed.
• Work with the International Ops Producer and Senior Director of Field Safety to manage and plan deployment of safety and security equipment to staff for breaking news coverage and trips to crisis zones.
• Evaluate operational procedures to determine whether or not they are user-friendly and effective. Make recommendations for improving systems and implement.
• Work with the Director of Content Production & Operations and the Training team to ensure proper staff training and use of content production equipment and systems.
• Maintain working knowledge of NPR policies and provisions of applicable collective bargaining agreement. Work with appropriate resources to address personnel and union issues.
EDUCATION: Minimum education experience, required or preferred. (Ex: Bachelor's degree or equivalent in work experience)
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience in journalism, communications/media/media production
• Three years radio production experience to include, two years’ experience in live broadcasting, and one year of experience in editorial decision making.
• Demonstrated leadership skills.
• Knowledge and expertise with audio production technologies and workflows for live broadcast and field production
• Technical aptitude
• Highly organized, with the ability to create documentation, databases, and other materials to track and disseminate information.
• Excellent communication skills - verbal and written.
• Experience working in and/or knowledge of public media and a passion for public media’s digital future.
• Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system.
• Knowledge of and practical experience with radio production practices, including digital editing.
• Familiarity journalistic practices.
• Experience working in and/or knowledge of public radio and the public radio system.
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR mandates that employees are vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment, subject to reasonable accommodation as required by law and any other applicable law.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NPR is committed to being an inclusive workplace that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed public. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, age, religion, religious belief, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, lactation, and reproductive health decisions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, transgender status, gender non-conforming status, intersex status, sexual stereotypes, nationality, citizenship status, personal appearance, marital status, family status, family responsibilities, military status, veteran status, mental and physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, genetic characteristics of yourself or a family member, political views and affiliation, unemployment status, protective order status, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking, or any other basis prohibited under applicable law.