News Assistant, Throughline
This was removed by the employer on 3/9/2021 12:44:00 PM PST
Not to worry we have a lot of other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Broadcast News Category
Browse the Radio Category
Browse the Writing Category
Search for News Assistant, Throughline jobs in Washington-DC
Search all News Assistant, Throughline postings
Are you an employer?
How do I hire a News Assistant, Throughline? News Assistant, Throughline- Temporary
Across our organization, we’re building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success.
NPR is looking for an entry-level journalist to serve as a News Assistant on Throughline. This temporary 4 month role assists in the booking and production of the weekly podcast. The News Assistant must be able to work under tight deadlines and have strong research, writing and communication skills. The desired candidate should be resilient to learn editorial judgement and developing production skills. This position focuses primarily on supporting the production of episodes, on guest booking and prepping, setting up remote interviews, sourcing scripts for fact-checking and preparing materials for the web and social accounts. The role may also help with writing and producing broadcast billboards and promos.
• Is practiced and self-directed to assist in booking, preparing and recording guest interviews.
• Has the attention to detail and editorial judgement to quickly, accurately source scripts for fact-checking.
• Works with Throughline staff to build editorial skills pre-interviewing guests, drafting host interviews/copy, gathering prep material for hosts.
• Drafts web and social copy for weekly episode releases with editorial assistance.
• Preps recorded interviews and gathers audio.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: Bachelor's degree or equivalent in work experience.
• Ability to edit audio on digital editing systems
• Ability to coordinate and collaborate efficiently with hosts and colleagues in various locations
• Understanding of journalistic ethics. Experience maintaining high journalistic standards under deadline pressure, including standards of objectivity, balance and fairness
• Ability to collect, organize and disseminate information effectively, through standard show workflow and protocols
• Demonstrated writing ability with an emphasis on clarity, economy of phrase and a strong grasp of the rules of grammar
• Demonstrated ability to work quickly and efficiently under deadline pressure. Ability to handle more than one assignment at a time; ability to prioritize, anticipate and communicate effectively
• Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system
• Ability and willingness to relocate. In the future, NPR may choose to transfer employees to other geographic locations. Severance provisions of the AFTRA collective bargaining agreement will apply should you choose not to accept a transfer
PREFERRED SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
• Managing Complexity
• Problem-Solving Agility
• Learning Agility
• Building Stakeholder Relationships
• Experience in radio broadcasting.
• Fluency in multiple languages
• Digital media skills, including proficiency in social media as a tool for topic research, news-gathering and audience interaction
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NPR is committed to being an inclusive place to work that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed public. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. This job is no longer available. Click here to view current job listings.