News Assistant, Morning Edition
This was removed by the employer on 12/24/2019 6:44:00 AM PST
Not to worry we have a lot of other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Assistant and Entry Level Category
Browse the Broadcast News Category
Browse the Radio Category
Browse the Writing Category
Search for News Assistant, Morning Edition jobs in Washington-DC
Search all News Assistant, Morning Edition postings
Are you an employer?
How do I hire a News Assistant, Morning Edition? NPR is looking for an entry-level journalist to serve as a News Assistant on Morning Edition. This role assists in the booking and production of Morning Edition and Up First. The New Assistant must be able to work under tight deadlines and have strong research, writing and communication skills. The desired candidate also has strong news judgement and developing production skills. This position rotates through a variety of shifts, including overnight, swing and dayside.
• Stays current with major news stories as well as topics that could be of interest to a national audience. Pitches story ideas and guests for news and features and is prepared to assist in booking and executing pitches across platforms.
• Builds and hones foundational production skills of cutting host interviews and mixing reporter pieces. This includes under tight deadlines.
• Works with Morning Edition staff to build editorial skills pre-interviewing guests, drafting host interviews/copy, gathering prep material for hosts.
• Drafts program copy including host intros, opens, returns, and tape and copy elements with editorial assistance.
• Syncs live interviews and gathers audio.
• Performs other duties as assigned including producing the Up First podcast and generating social media content.
• Ability and willingness to regularly work a variety of shifts, including Swing and Overnight.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
• Ability to edit audio on digital editing systems
• Ability and willingness to work varied shifts, including Swing, overnight or dayshifts
• Ability to coordinate and collaborate efficiently with hosts and Morning Edition colleagues at NPR West in Culver City, CA and other locations
• Understanding of journalistic ethics. Experience maintaining high journalistic standards under deadline pressure, including standards of objectivity, balance and fairness
• Ability to collect, organize and disseminate information effectively, especially across shifts through standard show workflow and protocols
• Demonstrated writing ability with an emphasis on clarity, economy of phrase and a strong grasp of the rules of grammar
• Demonstrated ability to work quickly and efficiently under deadline pressure. Ability to handle more than one assignment at a time; ability to prioritize, anticipate and communicate effectively
• Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system
• Ability and willingness to relocate. In the future, NPR may choose to transfer employees to other geographic locations. Severance provisions of the AFTRA collective bargaining agreement will apply should you choose not to accept a transfer
• Experience in radio broadcasting.
• Fluency in multiple languages
• Experience producing in and operating digital audio self-op facilities
• Digital media skills, including proficiency in social media as a tool for topic research, news-gathering and audience interaction
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NPR is committed to being an inclusive place to work that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed public. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. This job is no longer available. Click here to view current job listings.