Manager, Digital Analytics
Full Time Job
Across our organization, we’re building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success. We strongly encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply.
Do you have a passion for using analytics to improve digital consumer products and content? Do you enjoy the challenge of putting insights into action while surrounded by dedicated and creative people in a mission-driven environment? Then this role is for you.
You will extract insights from complex media usage data sets, work with NPR content and product teams on data products that drive decision making, and be the analytics thought leader on specific platforms such as mobile apps. You’ll be part of NPR’s Audience Insights team of analysts and researchers, working closely with digital product teams, the newsroom, and leaders at NPR and NPR stations around the country. You have a unique blend of thoughtful data-driven curiosity and pragmatism. You know how to make data come to life and be actionable. And you love the idea of using data to make NPR (and the world) a better place.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
• Lead analytics work in key areas that influence digital product development, content and distribution strategy, marketing, and revenue – with a particular focus on NPR mobile apps and also audience relationships (registration, email newsletters, CRM [Customer Relationship Management], and individual donations and membership).
• Oversee our data product efforts, in particular the dashboards we build and manage for NPR teams and partnering with the team that builds similar dashboards for NPR stations across the country. Ensure that our data products are driven by a consistent overarching strategy, scalable infrastructure, clear stakeholder relationships and communications, and an effective user experience.
• Supervise a Senior Digital Analyst, including preparing their regular performance reviews, and making effective recommendations regarding any hiring, promotion, and discipline for these positions.
• Master the data flowing through NPR’s digital platforms, manage the integrity of that data, and find opportunities for insights and recommendations that are actionable. Manage tagging and tracking strategies and measurement plans for NPR digital properties to ensure robust measurement tied to business goals.
• Serve diverse needs across the organization, from foundational trend reporting and incoming requests to big questions that require deeper analyses. Ensure that the team is providing insights and a distinct point of view that encourage audience-centered and data-informed decision making.
• Apply statistical rigor to designing models and uncovering patterns and relationships in diverse datasets that have real impact on the business.
• Consult with teams on how they can best use analytics data for decision making and train them in using analytics tools.
• Support a team culture that celebrates diversity, values different perspectives and holds team members accountable for their actions.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
• Several years of experience in consumer digital analytics across a variety of platforms.
• Experience managing, coaching, and/or mentoring individuals.
• Experience building and managing dashboards, from setting the strategy and vision to executing on data infrastructure and information visualizations.
• Proven expertise with Google Analytics (or similar).
• Experience fetching data using SQL.
• Data analysis skills using Excel or Google Sheets.
• Experience working with digital product teams implementing analytics.
• Bonus points for:
• Experience in the news media.
• Expertise with BigQuery and/or R/Python.
• Experience with mobile app analytics and/or audio measurement.
• Project management experience -- able to balance priorities, manage research projects from start to finish, and manage expectations regarding deadlines and delivery.
• Able to hold inclusive meetings where different opinions are valued and heard, bring in diverse voices if they aren't already present.
• Excellent oral, written and visual communication skills, particularly at explaining complex quantitative information to non-technical audiences, storytelling around insights, and taking a point of view that drives action.
• Able to build strong working relationships and problem-solving partnerships with clients and colleagues at all levels, so that you influence the larger strategies through consultative partnerships.
• Proven analysis and experimental design skills with a keen sense for data gaps and inconsistencies.
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NPR is committed to being an inclusive place to work that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed public. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.