Elections News Apps Developer
This was removed by the employer on 1/3/2020 6:44:00 AM PST
Not to worry we have a lot of other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the IS/IT Category
Search for Elections News Apps Developer jobs in Washington-DC
Search all Elections News Apps Developer postings
Are you an employer?
How do I hire an Elections News Apps Developer? Elections 2020 News Apps Developer (Short-Term Assignment)
NPR Visuals is looking for a civic-minded developer to join our news applications team to help cover the 2020 elections. This short-term assignment will last from January 6, 2020 through January 31, 2021. You will write software that matters, in close collaboration with the fantastic reporters and editors in our newsroom.
Our team is composed of developers, designers, photo and video journalists. You will have to work quickly in a dynamic environment. Making software on deadlines is difficult -- there's no room for cruft and little margin for error. You will encounter new problems everyday and will wear many hats, as a data wrangler, web developer, cartographer, sysadmin, etc. We are always open to new tools and to teammates who bring experience with different technologies and disciplines.
• Translate editorial goals into sustainable applications and infrastructure
• Work with developers and designers on our team, as well as reporters and editors throughout the newsroom, to design and build NPR’s coverage for the 2020 elections
• Produce information graphics, data visualizations and other visual presentations that help our audience understand this election
• Work closely with individual story producers, editors and other teammates to identify opportunities for visual storytelling and data visualization
• Document your work for teammates, newsroom colleagues and/or external audiences and lead training sessions
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
• Strong communication skills to coordinate with teammates and stakeholders, understand evolving project requirements and explain complex information to diverse audiences
• Demonstrated initiative and self-starting skills; ability to work independently
• Sincere curiosity, attention to detail and love for making things
• Experience with server-side code written in Python or Node (particularly in Flask on the Python side, or Express for Node)
• Experience writing code to consume REST APIs and structure data delivered to client applications
• Experience developing software projects using the Git version control system
• Previous experience with coverage of U.S. election results, especially using data from the Associated Press
• Solid news judgment and the ability to think in terms of the information needs of the audience
• Experience with GIS/mapping software such as ArcMap or QGIS, command-line mapmaking workflows or web mapmaking tools (Leaflet, etc.)
• Familiarity with data analysis techniques, especially in command-line or scriptable environments like Jupyter Notebook
• Familiarity with Amazon Web Services and provisioning AWS resources using the console, CLI and API
• Experience with data visualization and interactive design using modern web frameworks like Vue or React
• Experience working on Agile software teams
• Love for using and contributing to open-source software
With your application, include your resume, cover letter, GitHub profile and links to a few projects you're especially proud of. (If sharing via GitHub is not an option for you, please provide us another way to evaluate your technical skills. This might entail sharing a side project or submitting a code sample in a different form.)
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NPR is committed to being an inclusive place to work that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed public. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. This job is no longer available. Click here to view current job listings.