Editorial / Production Assistant
Full Time Job
Editorial/Production Assistant (Limited Term Assignment)
Across our organization, we’re building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success.
We need editorial and production assistants, to work in a fast-paced and deadline-driven environment with some of the best journalists in the business.
Your creative ideas, ability to edit audio, write news and program copy as well as your familiarity with digital and social content will keep our listeners informed while helping to shape the sound of NPR’s programs. Successful candidates will be primarily assigned to fill long term temporary assignments on NPR’s news magazine shows; Morning Edition, All Things Considered, Weekend Edition, and Weekend All Things Considered. This assignment will require essential on-site shifts at our Washington, DC headquarters. Shifts will rotate through dayside, mid-day and overnights.
This is a temporary onsite role.
• Books guests
• Generates story ideas
• Edits and mixes audio
• Prepares scripts
• Writes news and program copy
• Delivers digital content as assigned
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
• At least 2 years’ experience in journalism
• At least 1 years’ experience in broadcast journalism
• Intermediate ability to edit audio
• Demonstrated writing ability
• Demonstrated ability to work quickly and efficiently on deadline.
• Digital media skills, including proficiency in social media as a news gathering tool
• Ability and willingness to work varied shifts, including overnight and weekends
• Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team
• Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system
• Experience in radio broadcasting
• Experience in a demanding and fast-paced newsroom
• Experience with multiple digital audio workstations
• Experience in news journalism
• Familiarity with public radio
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NPR is committed to being an inclusive workplace that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed public. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, age, religion, religious belief, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, lactation, and reproductive health decisions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, transgender status, gender non-conforming status, intersex status, sexual stereotypes, nationality, citizenship status, personal appearance, marital status, family status, family responsibilities, military status, veteran status, mental and physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, genetic characteristics of yourself or a family member, political views and affiliation, unemployment status, protective order status, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking, or any other basis prohibited under applicable law.