Editorial Assistant, Elections
Full Time Job
Editorial Assistant, Elections (Short-Term Assignment)
The Editorial Assistant will conduct a variety of tasks to support editorial staff on the Washington Desk and colleagues throughout the newsroom working collaboratively to cover the 2020 campaign. The successful candidate is someone who is rigorous, adaptable, interested in politics, can find facts and figures fast, is exceptionally organized and enjoys successfully juggling varied tasks.
This is a short-term assignment based in Washington, DC that will end in January 2021.
• Conducts research on candidates, policy, demographics and political trends using internal and external reference services.
• Creates briefing books for the newsroom on major political events throughout the 2020 campaign, including primaries, conventions and election night.
• Compiles information in databases to assist with reporting projects.
• Assists reporters in finding/vetting sources and subjects for stories, including booking and recording interviews.
• Researches and books guests for special coverage of political events.
• Logs and organizes audio files.
• Stays current with major political stories and suggests story ideas.
• Maintains files of useful experts and other resources for editors, producers, program hosts and other staff.
• Fact checks podcasts, radio reports and digital stories.
• Assists in administrative work for the elections team.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Minimum two years’ journalism-related research with ability to collect, organize and disseminate information.
• Strong communication skills
• Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously under stringent timeframes and changing priorities/conditions
• Ability to both work independently and collaborate with others
• Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system.
• Demonstrated ability to work quickly and efficiently under deadline pressure.
• Ability to work varied shifts
• Radio experience.
• Experience with a CMS and broadcast digital audio workstations.
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development. NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Keep up with us on Social Media on: Facebook at This Is NPR, Twitter at @NPRjobs, YouTube at NPR Life - as well as #NPRlife for 'behind the scenes' tweets from our colleagues.
NPR’s Washington Desk produces sophisticated yet accessible coverage of the White House, Congress, the Supreme Court, the Justice Department and electoral politics. Vital to our mission are the following: original reporting, insightful analysis and a commitment to explanatory journalism. Known for our work ethic, the Washington Desk aspires to great storytelling both on air and online. Our coverage is featured on Morning Edition, All Things Considered, NPR.org, the NPR Politics Podcast and Up First.