Full Time Job
Editor I - III (Limited Term Assignment)
Across our organization, we’re building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success.
We need experienced editors who want to work in a fast-paced and deadline-driven environment with some of the best journalists in the business.
Your creative ideas, ability to edit audio, write news and program copy as well as your familiarity with digital and social content will keep our listeners informed while helping to shape the sound of NPR’s programs. Successful candidates will be primarily assigned to fill long term temporary assignments on NPR’s news magazine shows; Morning Edition, All Things Considered, Weekend Edition, and Weekend All Things Considered. This assignment will require essential on-site shifts at our Washington, DC headquarters. Shifts may rotate through dayside, mid-day and overnights.
This is a temporary onsite role.
• Tracks ongoing flow of news and recommends specific stories and areas of coverage, generating assignments for self and others.
• Assists in program/coverage planning.
• Conceptualizes, writes and edits news and feature content, for on-air and online.
• Responsible for editorial integrity and quality of air product, ensuring that all materials on air and online meet NPR standards and practices.
• Works with Digital Media to ensure the program is proactive in developing creative Web content.
• Maintains internal relationships with other members of the program staff and contributors and with other NPR program and desk staffs.
• Maintains external relationships with information and program suppliers such as sources, freelancers and experts, member station news staff and journalists from other media.
• Works various shifts, as assigned
• Performs other duties, as assigned
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
• Between 4 - 8 years of experience as a reporter, editor, or producer
• Demonstrated ability to organize and disseminate information and to coordinate news coverage
• A broad range of general news knowledge
• Demonstrated writing ability
• Demonstrated experience in editorial decision-making
• Understanding of journalistic ethics
• Experience operating digital audio workstations (ie: MTE/DAVID, Dalet, Cool Edit, ProTools or similar)
• Ability to handle multiple and complex projects simultaneously and changing priorities/conditions
• Ability to work quickly and efficiently under deadline pressure
• Ability and willingness to work varied shifts on site at NPR HQ, including overnight and weekends
• Ability and willingness to travel
• Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system.
• Experience line producing a live show under daily and breaking news conditions
• Experience working in and/or knowledge of public radio and the public radio system
• Demonstrated understanding of, and familiarity with, social media platforms
• Knowledge of audio production.
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NPR is committed to being an inclusive workplace that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed public. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, age, religion, religious belief, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, lactation, and reproductive health decisions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, transgender status, gender non-conforming status, intersex status, sexual stereotypes, nationality, citizenship status, personal appearance, marital status, family status, family responsibilities, military status, veteran status, mental and physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, genetic characteristics of yourself or a family member, political views and affiliation, unemployment status, protective order status, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking, or any other basis prohibited under applicable law.