Editor, Weekend Editor
Full Time Job
Editor II, Weekend Editor
NPR is looking for an experienced editor to oversee part of our weekend news operation.
We’re looking for an editor who can handle stories and shape a variety of topics across many beats, both domestic and international. This is a mission-critical role and we are looking for the candidate who can lead the network’s weekend coverage with the usual kaleidoscope of impeccable news judgment, calm under deadline pressure and an acute sense of what the network needs at any given moment.
They should be comfortable directing the homepage, social channels and other means of digital presentation during the weekend hours. Ideally they have the editorial ingenuity to find angles (and sources) to tell the stories that resonate specifically for the weekend audience.
The weekend newsroom has roughly 8 dedicated general assignment reporters, editors and producers along with a DME overseeing the operation. This editor would take a leadership position within that group. Additionally, the NPR newsroom is somewhat bustling during these hours. There are producers, editors and hosts putting out Weekend Edition and Weekend All Things Considered. Our newscast team is staffed 24/7 for news bursts on the hour or half-hour. And correspondents file dispatches and advisories at all hours.
There is a lot of opportunity in this role. The successful candidate must handle a torrent of information coming from NPR news gatherers across the country and around the world. And there is plenty of incoming to consider from our network of member station partners as well. We’re looking for the right leader to seize that opportunity and show the full newsroom how best to take advantage of it.
• Develop and execute stories across all NPR platforms on breaking news, with an emphasis on the website and apps, comfortably editing with speed, voice, nuance and curiosity.
• Develop quick-turn enterprise story ideas and reporting as assigned for web reporting.
• Regular collaboration and coordination with colleagues on broadcast -- newscasts, magazine shows and podcasts -- to make sure our reporting is properly vetted and presented across platforms.
• Field, solicit, edit, organize contributions from others at NPR, including show hosts, correspondents, reporters, producers and editors.
• Work with colleagues across other divisions at NPR from the technologist and designers of Digital Media to the analyst of Audience Insights to the audio storytellers in Programming to provide input on editorial, style, technical and design issues that affect NPR's journalistic integrity and overall digital presentation and productivity.
• Ensure that all materials meet NPR News standards and practices, including standards of accuracy, fairness, honesty and impartiality.
• Ability and willingness to work varied shifts, including weekends, evenings and holidays.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Four years experience reporting or editing national or international news writing on deadline.
• Four years experience reporting and writing with an emphasis on breaking news.
• Demonstrated excellence in reporting and writing for the internet.
• Demonstrated news judgment.
• A passion for internet reporting, writing and/or editing.
• Demonstrated ability to work at different levels of a newsroom.
• Demonstrated familiarity with NPR journalism.
• Ability to solicit and edit work from other reporters to the Daily News Report.
• Ability to handle multiple and complex projects simultaneously under tight deadlines and changing priorities/conditions
• Ability to work quickly and efficiently under deadline pressure. Must be able to report breaking stories
• Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience in journalism.
• Experience covering a variety of beats
• Broadcast experience
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer that affirmatively seeks to hire veterans and people with disabilities. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or national origin.