Editor, Throughline Podcast
Full Time Job
Throughline is our hit weekly history podcast that journeys into the past to better understand the present. History is often missing from our national discourse. The show aims to change that by exploring the history of current events through creative, immersive storytelling that uses cinematic production. Throughline brings the past to life in a fun, energetic way and reintroduces history to a new audience.
As the editor, you will be a key editorial position on a small, highly collaborative team. You will help conceive, shape and execute stories for the Throughline podcast as well as related broadcast and digital elements. You care about story structure, finding compelling characters, and fact checking. You write and support writing with flair and accuracy. A strong journalism background is a must, as is experience producing narrative non-fiction audio. If you equally nerd out on history and narrative storytelling, then this is the job for you.
• Edits podcast episodes and other content, as needed
• Active participant in pitch meetings, pitching specific stories as well themes/broader areas of coverage
• Assists host/reporters with prep for interviews and reporting assignments
• Assists host/reporters in organizing and focusing their stories throughout reporting, writing, editing and fact checking process
• Assists with future planning, development of host projects, and strategic partnerships
• Regularly provides constructive critiques of stories both verbally and in writing, at every stage of production
• Reviews pitches from team and outside contributors
• Monitors show for overall balance, variety of stories and types of pieces
• Is responsible for overseeing fact checking process, editorial integrity and quality of published products
• Edits stories for continuity, narrative strength, integrity of journalism, quality of writing, manner of presentation, and effectiveness of style. Ensures that all materials aired meet NPR program standards and practices, including standards of fairness, objectivity, and balance
• Other duties as assigned
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
• At least seven years of journalism experience
• Thorough knowledge of and passion for long-form narrative storytelling in the audio space
• Experience with both news and feature editing
• Demonstrated and consistent creative excellence in multi-platform production, including a proven understanding of best practices both audio and digital content creation
• Ability to work collaboratively with a highly creative team
• Ability to communicate clearly and be an effective member of a team that works in different locations
• Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system.
• Experience maintaining high journalistic standards under deadline pressure, including standards of objectivity, balance and fairness.
• Ability and willingness to work varied shifts.
• Passion for historical stories
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NPR is committed to being an inclusive place to work that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed public. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.