Editor, NPR Politics Podcast
Full Time Job
Editor, NPR Politics Podcast (Short-Term Assignment)
The NPR Politics Podcast is one of the top political podcasts in the country. Its cast of NPR reporters and editors get together whenever there’s big political news and try to make sense of it all -- through a lively, engaging format -- all for an incredibly loyal audience. Now, with the 2020 election underway, we are adding to our team for what will be the biggest story of the next year and a half.
We’re looking for an ambitious, creative and organized Editor with excellent news judgment and a passion for politics to help shape, plan and execute the podcast through the 2020 election.
This is a full-time short-term position beginning in September 2019 and extending through January of 2021. It is based in Washington, DC, will require some travel and weekend work and a willingness to be flexible with your schedule.
• Plan the podcast episodes -- topics and casts -- in collaboration with the producer, hosts and other Washington Desk editors. You will take the lead on planning and scheduling.
• Help craft scripts and shape the conversations.
• Oversee the podcast tapings.
• Edit the podcast content and approve the final product, in conjunction with other Washington Desk editors.
• Play a role in keeping us sounding fresh, being creative and trying new things.
• Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
• Minimum 2 years of experience as an editor in radio or podcast production;
• Proven editing ability and outstanding news judgment;
• Experience in show or podcast planning and demonstrated ability to create and manage a complicated production calendar;
• Experience writing for broadcast;
• Demonstrated knowledge of political news;
• Experience maintaining high journalistic standards under deadline pressure, including standards of accuracy and objectivity;
• Demonstrated ability to generate and execute complex creative ideas and to assimilate and organize large amounts of information;
• Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously under stringent timeframes, with changing priorities/conditions.
• Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system;
• Willingness to work a flexible schedule.
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer that affirmatively seeks to hire veterans and people with disabilities. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or national origin.