Editor II / III, All Things Considered
NPRCulver City, CA
Full Time Job
Come join the team that produces NPR’s afternoon flagship program, All Things Considered. From breaking news to long-form storytelling, we bring up-to-the-minute news coverage to our audience daily. If you are curious and love the adrenaline rush of a daily news broadcast we want to hear from you. As an Editor at ATC you develop timely, original program content for the daily two-hour broadcast that is topical and reflects the interests of a diverse audience. You take the lead by initiating, researching and executing show-based projects, working closely with show hosts¸ the supervisory team, editorial and production staff. When news breaks, the editor leads bookings, writes and edits scripts and provides support for the hosts in preparing for interviews. This position also assists in preparing and editing material for online. The editor works under the direct supervision of the All Things Considered management team. This position is based at NPR West in Culver City, California.
• Assists in program/coverage planning
• Leads bookings for newsmakers and other high-profile guests, including coordinating bookings with other NPR programs
• Conceptualizes, writes and edits news and feature content, for on-air and online
• Thoroughly prepares hosts on goal of interview and intended narrative arc, and assists in focusing/drafting their stories
• Works proactively with Digital staff to ensure All Things Considereddevelops creative content across platforms
• Responsible for editorial integrity and quality of air product, ensuring that all materials on air and online meet NPR standards and practices
• Collaborates with show social media team and NPR Digital team to ensure show content is engaging digital audiences
• Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: Bachelor's degree or equivalent in work experience
• Must have 5-8 year(s) experience as a journalist, reporter or print editor
• Demonstrated ability to organize and disseminate information and to coordinate daily news coverage
• Experience leading and editing breaking news coverage
• A broad range of general news knowledge
• Ability to identify and secure high-level bookings under stringent deadlines
• Ability to handle multiple and complex projects simultaneously
• Ability to work quickly and efficiently under deadline pressure
• Ability and willingness to work varied shifts
• Ability and willingness to travel
• Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system
• Ability to relocate. In the future, NPR may choose to transfer employees to other geographic locations. Severance provisions of the AFTRA collective bargaining agreement will apply should you choose not to accept a transfer.
PREFERRED SKILLS & COMPTENCIES
• Managing Complexity
• Critical Thinking
• Problem Solving
• Balancing Stakeholder relationships
• Experience in editing breaking news
• Radio or TV Broadcast experience
• Experience with field producing and editing
• Knowledge of Digital Media, CMS
• Knowledge of audio production
• Experience editing on digital audio workstations.
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NPR is committed to being an inclusive place to work that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed public. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.