Editor I , Louder Than A Riot
NPRNew York, DC
Full Time Job
NPR Music’s Louder Than A Riot is a seasonal hip-hop podcast that prides itself on reframing hot-button issues in completely new ways. Louder Than A Riot is hosted by two dynamic, decisive, Black music journalists who between them have more than 20 years of experience covering the world of hip-hop. In Season 2 of the show, Rodney Carmichael and Sidney Madden will continue to investigate hip-hop and the power of American institutions from all angles — the power the music industry wields over artists, the power of institutional forces that marginalize communities of color and the power dynamics deep-rooted in the rap game. Now, we are looking for someone to help us grow and think about new directions for the show.
About You: You’re a knowledgeable hip-hop head who follows the moves of the industry and the culture. You think about Black music’s cultural capital with your friends, and are always asking questions about its place in the world and its larger social impact. You are a confident and experienced editorial decision-maker, especially in the field of narrative audio production. You are a creative thinker who knows how to balance experimentation with meeting deadlines and telling a story clearly. You are an experienced leader, and ready to head production on a show with terrific hosts and colleagues. You’re excited about making something groundbreaking.
This is a short-term assignment, with the minimum term running from October 1, 2021 through June 1 2022. This job is remote, but you must be willing to travel travel 30% for field reporting and interviewing.
This is a fully remote position.
The Editor will work with hosts & senior leadership to develop the editorial vision and episode map for the season. This role is responsible for all formal aspects of each episode (including format, story structure et al). The Editor will work with NPR’s Deputy Editors and research teams to maintain high journalistic ethics and factual accuracy of the complete podcast product. The Editor will create and manage the production calendar for the season, and work in partnership with the Senior Producer to ensure all deadlines are met. Using knowledge of hip-hop culture, the Editor will work with hosts to think strategically about the hip-hop landscape and how it connects to larger societal shifts. Ability to collaborate, and clearly communicate is required as the Editor will partner with colleagues across the organization and act as a mentor to more junior staff.
• Collaborate with hosts to develop and further hone the show’s narrative voice and tone
• Establish a production workflow to serve the podcast, with minimal supervision
• Oversee daily production and edit the podcast
• Ensure editorial, production and technical quality of the podcast
• Run meetings, make assignments and set deadlines
• Think strategically about audience development and help to execute the strategy
• Manage journalistic series and other projects essential to the show’s success, with minimal supervision
• Independently plan, edit, report and produce coverage, and execute assignments with minimal supervision and revision
• Coordinate digital and marketing initiatives and events across divisions, with minimal supervision
• Create and maintain team workflow processes, with minimal supervision
• Mentor junior staff
• Assign stories to staff in collaboration with more senior leadership
• Think strategically about the program or show as a whole; contribute to discussions and provide input for longer-term decisions
EDUCATION: Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
• Minimum of 5 years experience in editorial decision making in narrative audio projects, with demonstrated ability to exercise solid, independent news judgment
• At least five years’ experience in podcasting or broadcasting
• Ability to meet a tight deadline and balance multiple assignments at once
• Demonstrated experience working with and managing highly creative, driven, results-oriented professionals
• Highly developed editing skills
• Thorough knowledge of beat (hip-hop and assoc. culture), demonstrating subject matter expertise through pitches and booking
• Experience maintaining high journalistic ethics and standards under deadline pressure, including standards of objectivity, balance and fairness
• Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system
• Skills in long form, narrative audio editing
• Ability to work as part of a team
PREFERRED COMPETENCIES & SKILLS
• Reporting experience
• Strong decision-making
• Critical thinking skills
• Problem-solving skills
• Attention to detail
• Results driven
• Managerial courage
• Manages complexity
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer that affirmatively seeks to hire veterans and people with disabilities. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or national origin. Want more NPR? Explore the stories behind the stories on our NPR Extra blog.