Editor, Digital News
Full Time Job
Editor, Digital News (Weekends)
NPR’s Digital News team is looking for an experienced editor to help shape and execute coverage across digital platforms on Saturdays and Sundays. This person will work with the lead Weekend Editor for Digital News and NPR managers to determine priorities, assign tasks and operate as a liaison for shows and desks. The Editor will be part of a core group tasked with understanding, engaging and growing the digital audience. S/he will edit and curate the best of NPR’s content offerings for promotion on npr.org, Facebook, Twitter and the breaking news alert system – selecting stories, audio, photos and other visual elements for optimal presentation and engagement. S/he will edit stories, rundown pages, headlines, teasers and other display copy for accuracy, grammar, punctuation, creativity, tone and style. The incumbent occasionally will write stories and will assist in planning and coordination of breaking news coverage, special programming and live events. The editor works a 40-hour week that includes Saturdays and Sundays and may span early mornings, evenings, overnights and some holidays.
• Serves as an editor for weekend digital coverage. Works with the Digital Weekend Editor to plan, assign and edit digital content in coordination with NPR managers, desks and weekend shows.
• Works closely with weekend News Desk managers to help shape breaking news coverage.
• Edits and curates NPR’s home page and social channels, choosing stories, audio and visual elements that showcase the best of NPR’s content offerings.
• Working on deadline and under pressure, writes headlines, teasers and other display copy for incoming stories.
• Analyzes metrics, including Chartbeat and Google Analytics, to understand and better serve the digital audience.
• Copy edits and proofreads stories, display copy and other text for spelling, grammar, factual accuracy, style, punctuation, fairness, balance and tone.
• Edits stories from NPR staff, member stations and freelancers that will be featured on digital platforms.
• Works with Visuals team to create multimedia content, including photo galleries and graphics.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in journalism, English, or writing-intensive discipline and/or equivalent work experience.
• At least six years of experience in daily journalism (digital, print and/or broadcast).
• At least two years of experience in editorial decision-making.
• Ability and willingness to work Saturdays and Sundays, as well as early mornings, evenings, overnights and/or holidays.
• Demonstrated excellence in news writing, editing, copy-editing and headline writing.
• Demonstrated ability to coordinate daily news coverage under deadline pressure.
• Ability to work quickly and efficiently under deadline. Incumbent must be able to write and/or edit breaking stories for immediate posting.
• Experience with social media channels, including Facebook and Twitter.
• Familiarity with specialty topics such as national, international, science or business news.
• Solid, independent news judgment.
• Strong knowledge of Associated Press style.
• Understanding of journalistic ethics. Experience maintaining high journalistic standards under deadline pressure, including standards of objectivity, balance and fairness.
• Experience with intellectual property issues involved in publications generally and Web publications in particular.
• Willingness to learn skills necessary to work on digital platforms; ability to adapt to changes in equipment, software and workflow.
• Ability to handle multiple and complex projects simultaneously under stringent timeframes and changing priorities/conditions.
• Ability to work independently and with members of a cooperative team.
• Ability to work quickly and efficiently under deadline pressure.
• Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system.
• Ability and willingness to travel.
• Ability to relocate. In the future, NPR may choose to transfer employees to other geographic locations. Severance provisions of the SAG-AFTRA collective bargaining agreement will apply should you choose not to accept a transfer.
• Experience with audio production and editing.
• Familiarity with Chartbeat and Google Analytics.
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer.