Editor I / II / III - All Things Considered
Full Time Job
Love NPR? Love breaking news? Love great storytelling? Want to be part of the journalistic team putting on All Things Considered? All Things Considered is NPR’s influential, agenda-setting evening flagship news magazine. As Editor, you will play a key role in developing timely, original program content for All Things Considered. You work closely with four of the best hosts in public radio, as well as with the show’s supervisory, editorial and production staff. You lead bookings, write and edit scripts for broadcast and help prep hosts and producers for interviews. The Editor writes and edits scripts for broadcast and updates breaking news. The Editor also provides support for the host in preparing for interviews, and editorial guidance and mentoring for production staff. Your social media smarts will assist us to engage our audience, working closely with NPR’s social media team. This position is based in Washington, DC, and the successful applicant is expected to work 11:30am-8pm with additional rotations as necessary.
• Assists in program/coverage planning
• Leads bookings for newsmakers and other high-profile guests, including coordinating bookings with other NPR programs
• Conceptualizes, writes and edits news and feature content, for on-air and online
• Actively pitches news-driven, forward-looking stories and interviews that s/he books and edits for air
• Thoroughly prepares hosts on goal of interview and intended narrative arc and assists in focusing/drafting those stories
• Responsible for editorial integrity and quality of air product, ensuring that all materials on air and online meet NPR standards and practices
• Collaborates actively with show social media team and NPR digital team to ensure show content is engaging digital audiences
• Other duties as assigned
Education: Bachelor’s degree in journalism or writing-intensive discipline and/or equivalent work experience
• At least four years of experience as a reporter, editor or producer
• Experience working in a newsroom
• Demonstrated writing ability
• Demonstrated ability to edit news copy
• Daily news experience with the ability to organize and disseminate information and to coordinate daily news coverage
• A minimum of two years of experience in editorial decision-making
• • A broad range of general news knowledge
• Ability to identify and secure high-level bookings under stringent deadlines
• Ability to work quickly and efficiently under deadline pressure
• Ability and willingness to work varied shifts
• Ability and willingness to travel
• Demonstrated interest in digital media
• Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system
• Ability to relocate. In the future, NPR may choose to transfer employees to other geographic locations. Severance provisions of the AFTRA collective bargaining agreement will apply should you choose not to accept a transfer.
• Preferred Skills:
• Experience working in and/or knowledge of public radio and the public radio system.
• Expertise in editing shows under breaking news conditions.
• Expertise in editing shows under breaking news conditions
• Experience in Digital Media, CMS
• Knowledge of audio production
• Experience editing on digital audio workstations
• Critical Thinking Skills
• Problem-Solving Skills
• Attention to Detail
• Results Driven
• Managerial Courage
• Manages Complexity
• All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer that affirmatively seeks to hire veterans and people with disabilities. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or national origin.